How to make people stay longer and actually play (long)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Imp

How to make people stay longer and actually play (long)

Post by Imp »

The problem of old UO replication combined with extremely fast skill/stats gain is lack of end-game content, and thus, very limited replayability. Players train their characters to 7xGM in a week or two, do this and that, then understand that they already did everything possible, get bored, and leave. As a result - no community, no teamwork - since there are no goals. 10-year-old PVP in very same templates with very same people gets boring even faster.

Of course, there is a "Siege Perilous" way, when you forced to progress in a slow pace, building character and some relations. It also limits to 1 character per account. While this can push people to grind for longer time, but not really good on a free shard and for an old, well-known game.

So, end game content... How to introduce it, and preserve the feeling of T2A era authentity?

This "feeling" is actually created mostly at first impression newbie gets at West Brit bank and while checking player vendors in premium locations. If (s)he sees neon shit, ethereal mounts, glacial staves, powerscrolls, BODs, elves and ninjas on streets - he says "wtf, what kind of accuracy is this?" Overloaded combat and crafting system, like on some shards, does no good as well.

But we need some end-game content... lets introduce it, but HIDE it far enough - in remote areas of Lost Lands, like Terra Sanctum and Ice Cap, aka Kos Heb.

(1) For combat oriented characters - a random champion spawn. Not started by players, but starting as automated event in fixed time. It must not be possible even for a quadzillion tank mages to complete it at all - spawned creatures should dispel summons on touch and have perma magic reflect, like valorite elementals, as well unbardable and taking 0 damage from pets. Reward (instead of a PS) can be a 10/20 point trophy, just as from PvP/PvM events. Fixed starting times will prevent it from getting farmed by limited amount of people.

(2) For all crafters - BOD system, handed by NPC in non-guarded area. BOD rewards should include money and a random magic item of craft type, as well as CBDs for tailors, etc. BODs should not be allowed to be placed on player vendors.

I have more detailed picture of possible improvements, but writing it all here would make the post unreadable.
So, what do you think about this?

Fast Eddie

Re: How to make people stay longer and actually play (long)

Post by Fast Eddie »

I see your point, but I think adding those things would be hypocritical to say the least. Champion spawns would do nothing for me, since I hate PvM. And bods are unnecessary. Best thing to keep the server fresh is with new players. With the GM's Tournaments/Quests and player run towns, I think there's more then enough things to do.

Imp

Post by Imp »

Champ spawns are not simply PvE, as a fixed time automated event it is an outdoor PvP as well.
Especially if you gimp typical PvP buids in efficiency, many interesting fights might happen.
Since its an event, ghosts can have auto ress and a gate back to bank, to make it more "friendly" and fast paced, etc.

BODs are unnesscessary? People have no point to gather resources when they gm-ed their mule. No economy flow, nothing.

Fresh players? With 3-4 weeks avg of shard life, you ll need many =)

I just wrote about minimal (and possible) additions, that will improve end-game content significantly. I am not calling for "faction kin system" or something complex and uncomprehensible.

akeba

Post by akeba »

Champ spawns are not simply PvE, as a fixed time automated event it is an outdoor PvP as well.
Especially if you gimp typical PvP buids in efficiency, many interesting fights might happen.
Since its an event, ghosts can have auto ress and a gate back to bank, to make it more "friendly" and fast paced, etc
While this does sound like an interesting idea, this shard seems to be set on keeping the game world as accurate to how it was in T2A as possible.. perhaps the server mods could put something like this together in the same vein as the other PVP events.. on a set schedule outside of the real game world.
BODs are unnesscessary? People have no point to gather resources when they gm-ed their mule. No economy flow, nothing.
Restocking vendors doesn't help? The economy seems fairly solid to me thus far.
Fresh players? With 3-4 weeks avg of shard life, you ll need many =)
Well considering this shard has been up since close to the start of the year.. and many new members are posting hail messages in the forums.. I think secondage has found a good formula and might wanna stick with it. Personally, starting from scratch and not rushing through, I have yet to finish a 7x and I've been playing here for nearly 4 weeks.. getting close on my archer-mage though! :D

alatar

Post by alatar »

I think they had a good thing going with Kasimir and the story-line events.. Kept a lot of people online & active..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

eyesdearth

Post by eyesdearth »

akeba wrote:Well considering this shard has been up since close to the start of the year.. and many new members are posting hail messages in the forums.. I think secondage has found a good formula and might wanna stick with it.
That doesn't really mean anything unless you can also quantify how long they stay, and how many previous players leave in the same amount of time. You're judging the success of the shard based on the words of people who have never played it but intend to? What kind of sense does that make? The important questions are:

1. Are they staying?

2. For how long?

venox

Post by venox »

alatar wrote:I think they had a good thing going with Kasimir and the story-line events.. Kept a lot of people online & active..
yeah i think these are a good way to encourage interaction b/n players.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

economy is healthy
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There are several era-accurate perks that have yet to really grace the server. I would say that before we begin considering additions to the game that fall outside the purview of the shard, it would be best to hold off until the bulk of the additions and changes are completed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Twiz

Post by Twiz »

eyesdearth wrote:
akeba wrote:Well considering this shard has been up since close to the start of the year.. and many new members are posting hail messages in the forums.. I think secondage has found a good formula and might wanna stick with it.
That doesn't really mean anything unless you can also quantify how long they stay, and how many previous players leave in the same amount of time. You're judging the success of the shard based on the words of people who have never played it but intend to? What kind of sense does that make? The important questions are:

1. Are they staying?

2. For how long?
I think that those questions need to be answered before we think the shard is doing a good OR bad job at getting and keeping new players. I don't really care which side you're on in this battle, without the facts, your argument is pretty hollow.
I also agree with Kaivan that the shard really needs to finish what it started before it starts messing with anything else.
I have infinite capacity to do more work as long as you don't mind that my quality approaches zero. - Dilbert