Dont know if this has been suggested before

Topics related to Second Age
grepler

Dont know if this has been suggested before

Post by grepler »

Did a search and couldn't find anything so Im hoping this is a new suggestion.

I see a few posts over the last year or so about people who are trying to set up area's (most times a player run town) for player interaction using events and or shopping areas with PC crafters in place to help make things, repair items etc. At the start of UO this was one of the best parts of the game. There wasn't much in town thievery and there was ways to block it if people tried. Just putting a large fur over top of things generally made it difficult for a thief back then. I, like many people then, spent a lot of time at the main forge in Brit playing my blacksmith and having a wonderful time talking to people, getting to know the regulars and just being social. For me and a lot of players this social aspect and sense of community is what made the game great. There have been some people who are trying to bring this social aspect back. Recently it has been mYm who would like to set up this kind of area. The only problem here is the high concentration of pk's and thieves on this server makes it impossible to have any kind of interaction with people in this way.

So, what I'm proposing is, would it be possible for an area to be set aside where no player killing can be done and no thieving. Set it up so it only works at certain times of the day on specific days of the week or month. Make it open so its not controlled by any specific guild or person. This way the players who want this type of social interaction as well as the main aspect of the server (PKing outside this area) can do both. Don't put any kind of npc in here so people still have to go to cities for their normal banking and training etc, thus it shouldn't disrupt the game flow in towns. If anything it might make the bank area's even more busy during this time of day as people find they need materials to have items made or money to pay for things. This should keep the thieves happy ;-)

Atraxi

Re: Dont know if this has been suggested before

Post by Atraxi »

So, basically what you want is Trammel. Really, the only three words I have to say to tell you why this cannot happen is: Unconditional Era Accruracy.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

grepler

Post by grepler »

I am not asking for trammel, Im suggesting a localized and temporary cease fire for the sake of some social interaction. As far as your unconditional era accuracy goes, then you'll have to do away will all the other events runs by the server as well. They arent era accurate.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

grepler wrote:Im suggesting a localized and temporary cease fire for the sake of some social interaction.
I don't think that the GM's would put something like this in. Now, I'm sure that if you bought up a whole housing area and made yourself a small guild town, then asked for this "cease-fire" as a town add-on, it might be possible. If it's even doable, that would probably be the only way. It would be quite expensive, though.
grepler wrote:As far as your unconditional era accuracy goes, then you'll have to do away will all the other events runs by the server as well. They arent era accurate.
Yeah, the problem with typing is that you can't really put vocal connotations in text. That was meant to be slightly sarcastic.

This shard's view on e...Wait a minute. I'd like to be perfectly clear on the fact that I like this shard. I like playing here. And I'm not planning on ragequitting or anything like that.

Now, that being said. It seems to me, IMO, that this shard's view on era accuracy is "Unconditional Era Accuracy" at the expense of the shard's population. At the same time, in some instances, it seems to be "Unconditional Era Accuracy", except for this thing here, and that thing there. But other than those things, we are "unconditionally" era accurate.

Now, I don't wanna start a discussion on Automated Events and all that crap. Every time someone talks about era accuracy, people start arguing about automated events. Okay, it is 100% impossible to make this 100% era accurate. You will NEVER completely reproduce UO as it was in November, 1999.

I mean, the simple fact that I am playing UO on a laptop, using Windows XP, on a wireless 4G connection, is not era accurate. So there goes ur 100% right there. Okay, show of hands, How many people here are using the exact same type of internet connection that they were back in 1999? Anyone? Come on now, don't be shy. Nobody? Okay, then.

Okay, everyone grab your rocks and start throwing...GO!

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Atraxi wrote:So, basically what you want is Trammel. Really, the only three words I have to say to tell you why this cannot happen is: Unconditional Era Accruracy.
Trammel lite

Myg

Post by Myg »

Social interactions lack the lustre and depth if people are forced to act nice because they have nothing else to do.

The interaction your looking for grepler comes from people having the choice to do bad things to you, but dont; because they are genuinely nice. Thus by default there is a level of trust there that normally doesnt exist and strengthens the bonds between those that chose to partake in it.

You cant force it, otherwise its all contrived and not real.

I might add that its what makes UO so attractive.

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

The Era accuracy thing aside I still don't see a need for this. If you want to arrange a player-run market pick a quiet town such as Ocllo and do it. The guardzone will stop PKing and for the most part stops thieves. I have a thief character and town stealing is almost pointless. Any thief after real loot will be following people into dungeons or into their houses. If you think that the threat from a few naked thieves is so great that we'd need a new safe zone then I think you overestimate the effectiveness of town stealing. All that and also with a little bit of effort you can practically thief-proof your backpack anyway.

Sadly the reason why you don't see people at the graveyard forge in Brit is due to everyone macroing up skills in houses rather than going out and hunting the wilds to raise skills, which is not going to change anytime soon. This coupled with the lower population compared to OSI and the fact that every GM crafter can easily have access to a house and a vendor of their own means you just won't see player markets much.

If you really want to re-live this kind of thing my suggestion would be to start making a crafter and set up a peddler's guild or something. See if there are other crafters out there that would be interested in selling their wares in person. Maybe if you got a good bunch of members you could set up travelling markets on the weekends or something, visiting different towns each week. You just have to be prepared to make it happen.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

A guard zone in a player town is out of the question.

You could; however, talk to Derrick or Yoda about assisting you with an event. We do that type of thing on occasion.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

But then I wouldn't be able to participate in your activities. Thieves are people too.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Braden wrote:A guard zone in a player town is out of the question.
No, I wasn't saying a guard zone. I went by the URK fort recently and I got a message that said that this was their territory and they can defend it without consequences or something like that. I was told by a guildie that this was a town add-on.

So, if the GM's could do that, wouldn't it be possible for them to make something similar for a player town if the player had enough money, but instead of getting rid of consequences of killing visitors, they could make a mini-Trammel for a rich Trammie that comes here.

Now, I don't wanna see this type of place. I was merely suggesting it to the OP based on the 1st post.

Of course, if the person was rich enough to pay for that type of place, wouldn't it be safe to say that they learned to deal with the thieves and pks?

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

chumbucket wrote:Thieves are people too.
Hey, Chum! Stop stealing my lightning! :lol: