Make tournament ring alittle bigger

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Make tournament ring alittle bigger

Post by Psilo »

I feel that the tourney area is too small of a box and caters to mostly 35 dex mages in the mage 1v1s. The reason it caters to them is because people with 35 dex generally use their hally more than spells leaving the mage with less dex getting stuck in the corner when he tries to cycle his hally. Couple this with the fact some of us don't have a ping below 100 so we are more easily "out-hallyed" by both those with 35 dex and those with lower pings because we can't get a few steps away from our opponent to cycle our hally in the lagg. And even if we have a good ping, if you play era accurate 25 dex mage you can't cycle cause there's no room to move the necessary 2-3 steps(extra steps that we need) to "cycle out the rest" of your hit. Compared to a 35 dex mage, 25 dex mages cycle their hally somewhat slower.

I believe making the tournament area a few steps bigger on all sides will make a more enjoyable fight for many different players. Archer mages and mages who choose to play with 100 int and lower dex. It's era accurate that someone can run around and meditate, currently in our confined tourney area we cannot do so without being hit by the hally every 1.8 second(however fast you count).

I also want to mention that with the current small tournament area it makes people not want to use their mana as much because the area is so confined if you do get outta mana you can't meditate because if you run in a circle you'll get cut off everytime by the dex-style playing 35 dex mages. What happens if once both mages are low on mana it just ends up being who can hold an e bolt and hally hit more and whoever ends up with more mana can easily have the upper hand. This causes more of a luck factor.

If we make it alittle bigger then 25 dex mages will be able to compete better because they will have 3-4 extra tiles to walk/run across to "cycle" their 25 dex hally swing.

I think this is one of the main problems with mage tourneys in general. It really caters to people who spam the hally the whole fight, if a mage wants to fight like a dexer(which most do) then they can and will force the other opponent to equip his hally.

Back in 1999 it was era accurate for a mage to run in large circles if his opponent chooses to fight him like a dexer. Running in a circle was also necessary to meditate if one person got outta mana, they need to be able to recover mana.

Let's make the ring bigger so that those who have higher mana can actually cast a spell and not have to arm the hally with "spell preppped" instead of "use the hally as a finisher move after "casting a spell" which is more era accurate.

Please consider this Derrick! I remember duel rings on other shards being bigger, I don't get why UOSA has the smallest duel ring it feels a bit confined and only need to be alittle bigger. Hally joust pvp is not accurate, I believe making the tournament area bigger will most of all let us recreate more accurate mage pvp possibilities overall. Besides enabling more playstyles is better. Archer mages absolutely have no chance in the tourneys cause the ring is so small, neither do people with 25 int.....

Constructive comments and critique only please and I realize I may have been redundant in the post just bear with me, thanks.
Last edited by Psilo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pristiq

Re: Make tournament ring alittle bigger

Post by Pristiq »

Yea I support this, sounds reasonable enough.

I propose a 1-square increase on all sides, increasing each dimension by two.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I don't see anything in this post other than "my style would be better and/or more fun if the square was bigger".

I think it's far better to generate an environment and let people creatively optimize to that environment (like the 35 dex mages did) than to promote a playstyle by tailoring the environment to it (like you're proposing). The latter removes a lot of the opportunity for creativity.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If you do this, then it is only fair to add LOS blockers and hide/stealth to the event. Otherwise, it is unfair.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:If you do this, then it is only fair to add LOS blockers and hide/stealth to the event. Otherwise, it is unfair.
I wouldn't mind seeing that added personally, but at the same time I don't think anyone is negativity affected by a larger duel area as much as old school templates like 100 int/25 dex are punished for not joining the 35 dex bandwagon which was never popular in the t2a era(especially 1999).
I think it's far better to generate an environment and let people creatively optimize to that environment (like the 35 dex mages did) than to promote a playstyle by tailoring the environment to it (like you're proposing). The latter removes a lot of the opportunity for creativity.
How does my proposal remove opportunity for creativity? Creativity comes with using spells, timing the spells at the right time(knowing when to double cast e bolt or cast a combo depending on when your opponent casts or has his hally in hand which would delay his heal if he had JUST equipped it). Having 35 dex and a smaller ring has dumbed down mage pvp, it doesn't even look like tank mage pvp anymore. Just 2 dexers with hallies precasting e bolt and hally spamming each other hoping to get more hits than the other and then drop the e bolt when they think their hally hit was good enough. And both of these mages typically have low mana because all you see in tourneys right now is In Mani In Mani In Mani. LOl.

No one even has mana to do anything because mages are leeching each others mana like a dexer would by hitting with the hally over and over in a confined space!

My proposal is a solution to this problem because it lets other playstyles be able to compete. 35 dex will still have an edge over 25 dex if they don't stay on their fight, but with a bigger ring having 25 dex won't be suicide.

If you ask me most mages that I see fighting in tourneys lack technique and skill and are simply hally spammers waiting for large damage then dropping e bolt, harm harm, hally hit, harm ect.. I see no creativity there, a bigger ring means more spells being casted, more meditation and less gimp fighting overall.

There is more choices and ways to fight with a bigger duel ring.

Think about 1999, at least on Lake Superior we used to duel in large rooms like deceit and the large Wrong Roof. We would also duel around in forests around pvp spots, there was no walls there. Trees and other obstacles would be cool because they also can be a negative thing for someone who runs a lot if they run into the tree while panicking :wink:

We need a duel area instead of a duel box to better emulate 1999 pvp.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Dude...
8)
There's a whole world outside that box

Make a 35 dex tank and stop crying...
You have the slots I am sure.

It's only fair if we look act and think the same....
And if we can't I want to be able to run away :lol:

Your field temp thing is found in CTF and DD, if the classic tank mage is being swindled by boosts in dex...that's what it is going to be reverted to.

Other then that like I said, there is a whole world with everything you asked for and more. Yes tournaments are the mage equivelent to PONG...I go as spectator sometimes but really it's just to see the politics going on and how it affects trash talk :)
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Brules

Post by Brules »

How about we MOVE THE EVENTS OUT OF TRAMMEL. PLENTY OF ROOM IN THE GAME WORLD.

:twisted:

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

the arenas are large enough as they are. you shouldn't have any problem juking a 35 dex character for an extra half a second for your swing to be ready. alternatively, just tab so you dont lose your swing.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I still think it needs to be a bit bigger.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Psilo wrote:How does my proposal remove opportunity for creativity? Creativity comes with using spells, timing the spells at the right time(knowing when to double cast e bolt or cast a combo depending on when your opponent casts or has his hally in hand which would delay his heal if he had JUST equipped it).
If you don't see this, perhaps that's the problem.

You justify your suggestion by having pre-made plans for the larger arena (that, purely coincidentally, of course, match up with the playstyle you always espouse across the forums as somehow being superior to what most players do). That is not creativity. That is coming up with an answer and trying to get someone else to ask you the question.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

12 screens wide with trees/rocks. Add horses and each player gets a house they can hide in

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

marmalade wrote:the arenas are large enough as they are. you shouldn't have any problem juking a 35 dex character for an extra half a second for your swing to be ready. alternatively, just tab so you dont lose your swing.
dont tab dont listen to marm about tabbing

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

You want to change everything that you're bad at.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Sandro wrote:You want to change everything that you're bad at.
Here let me help you find your way -------> viewforum.php?f=26

That's where you wanna be since you be hatin' dawg!
dont tab dont listen to marm about tabbing
Tab is fine on the field, he's somewhat right.
Last edited by Psilo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Sandro wrote:You want to change everything that you're bad at.
Rofl, +1
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink: