Allow red potions only in tourneys

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Allow red potions only in tourneys

Post by Psilo »

I propose that we allow red potions(free use or not, either way) in regular 1v1 tourneys to help balance things out.

Right now in order to get stamina one must "spam" eating food since food only restores a small amount at a time, this is VERY inaccurate. I am okay with unlimited food but we need to have the option to use refresh potions.

Whether or not the refresh potions are "free use" is not a huge issue, we can just carry many or make it free use to simplify things. But the thing that needs to be done is give us the option to use refresh potions if we want.

By only allowing food UOSA is forcing high pingers/lagg spikers to perform multiple actions in a row(spamming food) which certainly contributes to lagg. I believe Derrick can elaborate on how this works, but it's true for people with bad routing/packet loss. There's no question about it.

The less actions the better, allowing refresh potions will allow those with horrible pings/routing to compete since they only have to drink 1 red potion to get back into the fight. Also, this means the fight will be more balanced and less about "who is good at juking(aka low ping) while eating food and hally spamming". Once you get someone to very low stamina(from low health) it is hard for them to recover vs someone with higher stamina that keeps spamming them with hally. The reason this happens is because we need to be able to use red pots.

Might I mention that eatings food one-by-one to restore stamina is not era accurate. A lot of the fights in tourneys end up with whoever hits the most gets a huge advantage over the person with low stamina who is struggling to get above 20 stamina because they are having to eat food one by one.

Keep in mind all player-run tourneys allow red potions and have since 1999 and all player-run tourneys on UOSA allow red pots. It only makes sense, we need the same option for the the instanced tournaments.

It's only fair in my opinion.

Constructive criticism only, thanks. = )
Last edited by Psilo on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Allow red potions only in tourneys

Post by Panthor the Hated »

While I disagree with your entire premise, it makes more sense to have red pots than unlimited food.

Given that these are no-pot tournys, though, I think it makes more sense to leave the normal restrictions on food. IE allow you get full. I don't think tournys should go away but NEA mechanics shouldn't be permitted during them.

No changes should be made to cater to players with bad connections, for sure. I had a horrible connection when I first started here with massive packet loss too but its a little ridiculous to expect mechanics be changed to suit that.
Last edited by Panthor the Hated on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Panthor the Hated wrote:While I disagree with your entire premise, it makes more sense to have red pots than unlimited food.

Given that these are no-pot tournys, though, I think it makes more sense to leave the normal restrictions on food. IE allow you get full. I don't think tournys should go away but NEA mechanics shouldn't be permitted during them.
I would be fine with allowing non-free use red potions. Though if we're going to have free-use at all I think it makes more sense to have free-use red potions than free-use food.

My reasoning is because eating food 1-by-1 makes duels more tedious along with lagg/object delay and never in UO history did people depend on just food to refresh stamina. It takes too long to get to 100% stamina, and like I said the more "actions" the more lagg. Allowing red potions will cut down on the lagg high pingers get considerably.

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

allow all pots

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I propose that whenever you hit your "eat food" hotkey, a magical pink fairy appears and refreshes your stamina. Equally as accurate as infinite red potions and infinite hunger.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

lets bend the rules so psilo stands a chance to compete..

lol
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Mikel123 wrote:I propose that whenever you hit your "eat food" hotkey, a magical pink fairy appears and refreshes your stamina. Equally as accurate as infinite red potions and infinite hunger.
Fine with me, it fits the theme of the trammelments = P

allow all pots
Just red pots would be fine IMO. Most mages agree that a duel is on foot using GM weapons with red potions optional.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Meanwhile, chumbucket is somewhere unable to contain his laughter at leet pvpers making threads demanding red pots only.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

lol most mages?

You know its not against the rules for a dexer to enter right? Why is it about what most mages agree about?

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Panthor the Hated wrote:lol most mages?

You know its not against the rules for a dexer to enter right? Why is it about what most mages agree about?
I know I didn't mean to sound so pro-mages but red pots also help dexers too you know. Only having food really nerfs dexers in the 1v1 tourney. It would be more balanced in that respect too thanks for brining it up Panthor = )

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

allow all pots unless you can only duel by restricting your playstyle and cannot function in a sandbox world.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

unlimited food is better for dexers, so this would actually make it more difficult

I still think unlimited food isnt a good idea though

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

imo bigger arenas, mounts and potions.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

There are already separate tournaments which allow red potions.

One which allows pots + crafted weapons only, and one which allows all magical equipment and potions.

Why don't you join those instead of trying to change everything to suit your personal needs b/c your ping is so "bad"?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Why not just go with..

No potions
Yes to food, but have hunger take affect

Isn't that how most duels are done outside of tournaments?
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins