Being able to loot another player's (monster) kill

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
egamretsam

Being able to loot another player's (monster) kill

Post by egamretsam »

In my brief experience thus far on this server, my biggest disappointment was seeing the message detailing the rules of how monster loot rights are distributed.

I believe that this severely takes away from the UO feel as it was during the days that this server is attempting to portray. In fact I have fond memories of making my first character on Napa Valley named "MASTER LOOTER" and just had 50 hiding/resist and the only thing he did was hide and be the first to loot a freshly killed monster.

Other fond memories of this character were having players who figured they had the right to the monster even though they were the sole beneficiary of the weapons and tactics skill increases that I a non participant had no right to loot the kill attack me (flagging themselves grey) I would run towards town and other players would start attacking them thinking that my assailant was a murderer then after his quick demise I would get even MORE loot. /breath.

Please remove this silly distribution of loot system you have in place now. Not to mention it does screw over a group of non grouped players attacking monsters as the player with the ability to do the most damage will be the only one benefiting from the monsters death.

Please bring back the natural way of things in regards to looting rights of kills. After all the looting distribution rights is a silly system to begin with and makes the players lazy, I remember looting kills was an art and skill as you had to decide in the brief moment of time which item was the most important for you to grab before the body was picked dry.

POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU WANT LOOTING THE WAY IT WAS! VIVA LOOT REVOLUTION!

Derrick

Re: Being able to loot another player's (monster) kill

Post by Derrick »

There are no creature looting rights on SecondAge
are you on the right server?
Server: uosecondage.com
Port: 2593

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

Derrick wrote:There are no creature looting rights on SecondAge

Derrick,
Yes I'm on the right server silly goose. Hmmm. I swear I read a window that appeared on my initial login that stated the character doing the most damage gets the right to loot the monster. My memory serves me wrong. Delete this thread so people are not misinformed. :mrgreen:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

egamretsam wrote:
Derrick wrote:There are no creature looting rights on SecondAge

Derrick,
Yes I'm on the right server silly goose. Hmmm. I swear I read a window that appeared on my initial login that stated the character doing the most damage gets the right to loot the monster. My memory serves me wrong. Delete this thread so people are not misinformed. :mrgreen:
oh oh, in the tips ok :)
Crap yeah, I'll get that one out of there.

There's no looting rights on Second Age, but those tips come from a pool of tips that I apparently didn't review very well. Thanks man!

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

Derrick,
And here you are trying to make me feel senile!

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Derrick, make it easy on yourself and just nix all of the tips. Just add custom ones back if you wish for things like CTF and such.

T2A never had tool tips anyway, at least not that I recall, so its era accurate ;-)
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I belive the pop-up tool tips are built into the client. I wish i could change em.

The tips that come up when you first log on are pretty handy for new guys, there one on how to equip a weapon, get into war mode, speak, ect.

For anyone that isn't aware, you can hide the display of those tips by issuing [notips command in game
To get them back, type [tips

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Anyone can loot anyones kill.... quite frankly it made UO really good :) And yes, it is an art.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

Derrick wrote:For anyone that isn't aware, you can hide the display of those tips by issuing [notips command in game
To get them back, type [tips
Thanks for the tip Derrick, that will save me 1 second everytime I log in.
Flash Hardstar wrote:Anyone can loot anyones kill.... quite frankly it made UO really good :) And yes, it is an art.
Yes thats apparent now, but the question originated from contradicting information being in the tips when you log in to the server for the first time on this shard ;]

I loved UO from that age because of it.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

I'm aware this is a 2 yr old thread...

I searched through the patch notes and could only see this from 10/29/1997:
.... "Note that looting is not currently defined as a criminal act!" .....

I searched through the remaining patch notes posted all the way to 4/2/00 and could not find anything else even hinting about looting rights to monster/creatures. This one comment in a patch from 1997 is ambiguous and does not clearly address the issue of when kills were blue to other non-involved players. In another post somebody mentioned UO:R yet I can't find a patch comment reflecting this.

Any help with actual facts?
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

NM, too slow. Faust is a quick draw bandit.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

I swear something else existed before that patch. I remember purposefully going grey on peoples kills to entice them to attach me.
My memory could also be seriously foggy.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

or you were playing during UO:R ;/

what you speak of is about the exact time they changed elementals to have corpses instead of their loot dropping onto the ground..

a long boring overhaul into the fairy-world of trammel
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Post by Faust »

tenduil wrote:I swear something else existed before that patch.
Nope, nothing.