New to server accuracy

Moderator: Support Moderators

podsosnoi

New to server accuracy

Post by podsosnoi »

Tell me smth about town guards. How they act and defend us from attackers?

My friend was hunting outside gz, and he found a man who killed a troll. My friend picked smth from the troll's corpse. And a man who slain that troll started attacking my friend. When my friend ran inside GZ, the man continued chasing him, and guards didn't come to help.

Can u tell me why that happened. Thanks.

P.S. or show me the topic with the same question.

Bmohr225

Re: New to server accuracy

Post by Bmohr225 »

To the best of my knowledge, in order for that to have occurred, your friend would have had to either be gray or been the one to attack this other player.

podsosnoi

Post by podsosnoi »

He plays UO for 6 years, and he knows what means to be gray. =) He told they were both blue, and he was attacked first.

P.S. he is not in the clan

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Not in the clan? Thieves guild you mean? And yeah, he was either grey (or perma-grey), or must have attacked first even if the other player was grey.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Bmohr225

Post by Bmohr225 »

Anybody a mage? You might have cast blade spirit or ev.?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

You can continue to chase somebody who is blue (after attacking them outside of GZ) as far into town as you want. As long as you don't initiate another attack (i.e. double click them in war mode or attack last target) or actually swing your weapon at them, the guards will not do anything. You have to COMMIT a criminal act on somebody who is in a GZ for the guards to respond. If your friend were to get swung at (counts as a new criminal action), then he could have called guards.

As an example: Once, I was attacked by a guy in a dungeon, and got away to drop my loot, only to return to see a gate. I walked in--it took me to Trinsic where the criminal attacker was. I attacked him (being still blue to him) and got him to auto attack me back. The moment he actually swung at me, a nearby NPC called guards on him.

If the attacker in your experience was still swinging at your friend and guards still didn't come when called, then your friend was either unwittingly grey, or perma-grey as described.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

podsosnoi

Post by podsosnoi »

I fully understand all your posts, and i know how all the stuff works.

BUT

Here's what my friend told:
-I was outside the GZ, wondering around. Suddenly I've noticed a man who killed a troll. I ran up to the trolls corpse, and looked for smth inside it (he was looking for gold =), he likes it)[they were both "blue"]. THEN, a man who defeated the troll started to attack me[he became gray, i was blue]. I ran inside the guard zone, crying guards multiple times. Attacker was crying "lol" and chasing me until he finally killed me.

Ok. It's not already the question of "Why do guards didn't come for help?" , let it be "How he became perma-gray or unwittingly grey, when he is a dexxer warrior with "Query before perfoming a criminal action" checked?"

As far as I understand, he never saw that guy before, and never attacked him.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Don't know what to tell you, except for the possibility that your friend called guards several times BEFORE the attacker actually got a swing off on him inside the guard zone, and not after. Either that or your friend mispelled guards :) (see this example where the "biggest noob" is attacked near the healers--I think it's near the end, but it might be in part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUPRiOYCzc)
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.

podsosnoi

Post by podsosnoi »

Ok, now thing with me happened. I tried to feed my horse near BG. Player killed my horse, became gray. I attacked him, and he was chasing me in to gz and finally killed me. WTF? Do they become perma gray, after killing my animal??? Why can't i guard them off?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

1st, some explanation...
There are 2 types of "grey"--criminal and aggressor. A criminal can be attacked by anybody. If you attack a criminal, you become an aggressor (also "grey") to that criminal, and only them (assuming you are innocent).

NOW, if you are innocent (blue) and somebody initiated an attack ON YOU, you would remain blue to them because you did not initiate the attack, and are therefore NOT an aggressor to them. Under these circumstances, every time the criminal swings at you or initiates another attack (i.e. double clicks you in war mode), they are committing brand-new criminal acts.

In YOUR scenario, the guy attacked your HORSE, which indeed makes him a criminal. The horse remains blue to him, just like you would have if he initiated the attack on you. If you managed to pull the horse into the guard zone before he killed it and he happened to swing at it, then, because he committed a brand-new criminal act within the guard zone (swinging at an innocent), you could call the guards on him. This is the same as if he were to directly initiate an attack you (not where you attacked him first). You would remain blue to him, and if you ran into the guard zone and he followed you in and got another swing off, he would have committed a brand-new criminal act in town and you could call guards on him. This is why some people hug the guard line by the brit graveyard when fighting pks--they can sometimes run into the guard zone before an explosion spell hits them, and, since the pk "initiated" the attack (i.e. the damage was inflicted, even though the spell was cast on them while outside of the guard zone) on a victim inside the guard zone, then guards can be called on the pk (this, of course, would NOT work if you had attacked the pk 1st, since then you are an aggressor (grey) to that pk and he can kill you without penalty... you can't report him or anything).

HOWEVER, bringing it back to YOUR scenario, he attacked the horse, not you. The horse was killed outside of the guard zone, so no new criminal acts were committed in the guard zone. You attack him, making you an "aggressor" to him (you become grey to him, because, although he is a criminal, he did not initiate the first attack on you and you thus do not remain blue to him). Now he can do whatever he wants with you and the guards will not come to your aid. Again, if he had directly initiated the attack on you at the start, then you would remain blue to him (since you were not an aggressor to him), and every swing he took at you while you were under town guard protection would be a new criminal act.

Make sense? Note that many people will intentionally do something that makes them a criminal (like attack a tamed animal) such that people will try to attack them because they can kill such aggressors without penalty (no murder count or anything).

As a side note: monsters work in the same way--they are not inherently criminals that will be killed by guards on sight; they must commit a new criminal act within guard zone to be guard whacked. If you initiate the first attack on a skeleton in brit graveyard and drag it into the guard zone, the guards will not come to help you even though it continues to beat on you because you are flagged as an aggressor (grey) to it. Let it attack you first, however, and (1) it becomes a criminal--you can, for example, heal it at this point and it will make you a criminal too, and (2) you remain blue to it such that every swing it takes on you is a new criminal act. The next time it swings at you while you are in the guard zone, you can call guards on it.

Return to “New Player Help”