Secure containers having weight limits - not accurate?

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Raptor

Secure containers having weight limits - not accurate?

Post by Raptor »

From what I remember, secure containers were supposed to be like an extra bank box inside your home. I was told by Derrick that lock downs are unlimited but secures are limited. I am not sure if this was reversed on purpose or on accident. The following information is taken from http://update.uo.com/design_37.html
Phase II (Lock downs and Secures) Nov 23 1999 2:25PM CST
Lock Down and Secure Containers
As part of Phase II, the number of secure containers and locked down items will be increased for most house types. The numbers are detailed below. The total items column is the maximum number of items that can be stored in each house. Designating a container as secure will take up 125 of your lockdowns, regardless of how many items you actually put in the secure container. Note that containers within a container do not have a weight limit. This allows players to forego secure storage for more lockdowns. Secure containers do not have weight limits.
Again, this may have been done on purpose, so i am just posting this to clarify. :?:

Faust

Re: Secure containers having weight limits - not accurate?

Post by Faust »

The information about our housing system that we use is inside the '98 patch notes.

Slade

Post by Slade »

Raptor wrote:From what I remember, secure containers were supposed to be like an extra bank box inside your home. I was told by Derrick that lock downs are unlimited but secures are limited. I am not sure if this was reversed on purpose or on accident. The following information is taken from http://update.uo.com/design_37.html
Phase II (Lock downs and Secures) Nov 23 1999 2:25PM CST
Lock Down and Secure Containers
As part of Phase II, the number of secure containers and locked down items will be increased for most house types. The numbers are detailed below. The total items column is the maximum number of items that can be stored in each house. Designating a container as secure will take up 125 of your lockdowns, regardless of how many items you actually put in the secure container. Note that containers within a container do not have a weight limit. This allows players to forego secure storage for more lockdowns. Secure containers do not have weight limits.
Again, this may have been done on purpose, so i am just posting this to clarify. :?:

You're cherrypicking.

Read the rest of that patch note and you'll see that this was one of the most TERRIBLE changes to the housing system. This was the patch that eliminated all house looting. This is also the patch where they made ALL items that aren't locked down in your house decay. You would lock down a container and any item you put inside of it would become locked down automatically. You had to unlock everything to move it around and anything that WASNT locked down, decayed. Even if it was in a container. (you manually unlocked something in a container and forgot to re-lock it or take it out and drop it back in, it would decay)

They did this because people had too much shit in their houses and it was causing server performance issues due to the millions of items to keep track of.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current housing system. It is ACCURATE.

/thread

Faust

Post by Faust »

It was phase III that implemented house decay. :wink:

You are right that this was pretty much the patch that nailed the coffin shut for house looting.

Slade

Post by Slade »

Faust wrote:It was phase III that implemented house decay. :wink:

You are right that this was pretty much the patch that nailed the coffin shut for house looting.

Yeah I misspoke. They couldn't implement decay at the same time because they had to give people time to sort their crap and get it into lockdowns. But you knew what I meant.

I quit OSI shortly after all these major housing patches.

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Instead of flaming, try posting some links (other than the t2a wiki that is maintained by this site). It would be fantastic, asshat (Slade).

Making secure containers function how they do in the posted patch notes has little to no change on the security of loot (it does not take much to get 5 tables and block off the front tiles of your home to prevent looting. "I Ban Thee" pretty much sums up the downfall of all house looting anyways). I was of the assumption that era accuracy was key on this server, and the patch notes I could find told me that unlimited secure containers is era accurate. From my memory I never recall locked down containers having no weight limits. Prove my memory faulty. :)

Slade

Post by Slade »

Raptor wrote:Instead of flaming, try posting some links (other than the t2a wiki that is maintained by this site). It would be fantastic, asshat (Slade).

Making secure containers function how they do in the posted patch notes has little to no change on the security of loot (it does not take much to get 5 tables and block off the front tiles of your home to prevent looting. "I Ban Thee" pretty much sums up the downfall of all house looting anyways). I was of the assumption that era accuracy was key on this server, and the patch notes I could find told me that unlimited secure containers is era accurate. From my memory I never recall locked down containers having no weight limits. Prove my memory faulty. :)

You're missing the point entirely.

Did you even read the patch notes you posted? Yes, it says that secures have no weight limit in that patch note, but it also says half a dozen other things that would VASTLY change the current housing system on our server.

Patches like the one you cite here are exactly the reason people look for T2A servers. They are the patches that began the rapid downfall of OSI's UO. A T2A server without house looting is like a T2A server without instahit. It's not a true T2A server.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The current house system is lootable if someone makes a mistake. It has happened on here many times. The house system introduced in late '99 is pretty much unlootable. Both systems are era accurate, however Derrick chose the earlier system.

Here is the link to the late '98 patch for the housing system we use.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 11/23/1998

The patch notes on our wiki site were taken straight from official patch notes for Ultima Online. They are solid for use on accurate research for the era.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

do crates in houses decay? or can people from the outside chop them? my crates are disappearing and im just finding a huge pile of loot just sitting there from the crates. wtf.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

kill drizitz wrote:do crates in houses decay? or can people from the outside chop them? my crates are disappearing and im just finding a huge pile of loot just sitting there from the crates. wtf.
Unsecured or Locked down crates can be destroyed by monsters, but nothing within a house should decay. If you haven't any monsters roaming around in your house, please send a page so I can look at this.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

kill drizitz wrote:do crates in houses decay? or can people from the outside chop them? my crates are disappearing and im just finding a huge pile of loot just sitting there from the crates. wtf.
Blade spirits will break crates too, unless they are locked down
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

yea they were locked down. house is a small where i block off the front. when i get a chance ill log on and let you have a look. no way a bladespirit would do it, and no way for monsters to get past the front door.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Raptor wrote:Instead of flaming, try posting some links (other than the t2a wiki that is maintained by this site). It would be fantastic, asshat (Slade).

Before you take offense to someone's comments you might want to try brushing up on your facts. And as cool as the I Ban Thee function is, it hasn't prevented my friends from looting over 16% of this shard's housing.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Bean

Post by Bean »

The Doc is right. I ban thee only works when you can click on them, can see them, and it only works on one person. If you get raided by 4 or 5 peeps and your door isn't blocked; you'll be dead before you can say "I ban thee" 4 or 5 times. Seen it and its been done to me.

While I think the powerusers on this shard ruin the game for many others, the possible looting of houses adds a sense of insecurity that was prevalent in pre-T2A and early T2A. Now, as for the claims of changes in housing rules being the nail in the coffin for UO, that's pretty debatable. Slade, and many others, have a serious conflict of interest when it comes to proposed changes such as this that impact the ease of which they prey upon newer players. For them, its their bread-and-butter to go after other players and it would be ruining part of the game they enjoy (as sad as it is).

Don't leave lockdown containers out, because they can be looted. Use your trash barrel to block the door when you walk in, and detect hidden to reveal any stealths that got by you.

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RawToxic »

I will say that it only takes a time or two of getting completely looted for a newbie to learn how to not get house looted again in the future. The sad part to it is that it takes so long to build up items and things in this game that a complete house looting makes most players give up and quit playing all together when it occurs.

For one, instead of complaining on how people are taking advantage of new players, create a new players a guide on how to avoid these situations. I do not believe one currently exists in the guides forum. This will not help everyone but is a start in the right direction to make a positive impact rather than bitching about it.

Ultima Online was the first MMORPG to have features that allowed players to grief other players and cause mass havoc to other players in game. EA/Sony/OSI quickly saw the drawbacks to these features when they saw how rampantly players used these features to grief other players and cause alot of good people to quit paying them money. They learned fast that a vast percentage of the player base plays a game to it's disadvantages in design. As any decent customer service company, they made changes to try to appeal to the 'majority' player base and to keep the business profitable. The bad part of this is, we all see what Productin Ultima ONline turned into today... meh...

Personally, I just don't see how someone can take pride in griefing someone until they either make them quit the game or stalk them until they see the chance to completely steal everything they own. Just know that the people who do those things cause alot of sorrow to good people who just want to play and many times, you probably make someone quit playing altogether. I hope your proud of yourselves and your parents are proud to see who they have allowed you to become.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that this is just part of the rules of a game which we all love and still want to play even to this day. Not everyone is a 'good' player. This is a RP game, baby... As far as new characters are concerned, they will learn just like we did when we were newbs. It's all just part of the process. If you get upset about it, make a positive impact to change the curve instead of griping everyone's ear off.

Most of us are standing right there with ya, but ... It's part of the game. Deal with it!
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker
Fletch - GM Bowyer, Miner
Samuel Vane - GM Fisherman
Arsenic Annie - GM Poisoner
Grimm McCutty - PVP Hybrid