Just my input..As a new player..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Dallaswolf

Just my input..As a new player..

Post by Dallaswolf »

So as a New player on this server but long time OSI player I wanted to give some input.

There needs to be a way for new players to ramp up faster..Skill wise,Gold wise
And the whole join a guild theme is not the right answer. I joined this server a few days ago and all I have been doing it macroing my skills and Im not even close to being done. Could I go out with a half done Toon to die and lose my rune and have to run back to town or pray to find a res. But with the number of PK's/Griefer's it would just be a waste of time. Also there has to be a better housing system.. There are a ton of empty houses on this server.

I know I'm just some guy but if you wanna get new players we need to make it easier for them to start so they don't just give up and quit.

Atraxi

Re: Just my input..As a new player..

Post by Atraxi »

(1) So, because you're new, the GMs should give you free gold and skillpoints that aren't available to those of us who have been here for a while?

(2) You think that after "a few days" of playing, you should have skills and equipment sufficient to defeat seasoned players? If you could completely rule the game after "a few days", why would you play for longer than that? Seems like it would get boring after a while.

(3) There's plenty of spots available for houses, and sparse housing space is era accurate from what I'm told.

There was a time when gaining skills and making money was what UO gameplay was all about. Nowadays, everyone wants to start on day one with a castle, as much gold as you could possibly want, and all characters at 7x GM. That's not realistic, and it's not going to happen.

I don't mean to be an ass, but I've been here for a while and I've seen the same thing you posted over and over and over again. It's getting annoyingly repetitive. Every new player complains about things being too slow. They either chicken out and quit, or get over it and become better players for it. Which are you going to be?

Also, the reason people tell you to join a guild is because some guilds will help new players gain skills. Then some guilds will take advantage of ur noobiness and gank you for fun. If you wanna start out most efficiently, the best advice I can give is to find a guild that stands for the same things you do and try to join them. Maybe they can help you build up your characters. (But, it sounds like some wise person already gave you that advice.)
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Dallaswolf

Post by Dallaswolf »

Atraxi wrote:(1) So, because you're new, the GMs should give you free gold and skillpoints that aren't available to those of us who have been here for a while?

No Im saying maybe give new players a 48 hour Skill gain increase or yeah 50 extra skill point's..It allows someone to get up and going and playing the game faster..

(2) You think that after "a few days" of playing, you should have skills and equipment sufficient to defeat seasoned players? If you could completely rule the game after "a few days", why would you play for longer than that? Seems like it would get boring after a while.

No did I say that? I'm not talking about making a 7x in 2 days and not everyone is in it to pvp. I am talking about a toon to be able to go out and make money to start playing the game rather then having to ask for hang outs or just getting tired and quitting..

(3) There's plenty of spots available for houses, and sparse housing space is era accurate from what I'm told.

lol OSI HAD FULL SERVERS SO YES HOUSEING WAS SPARSE but there where 100x more players.

There was a time when gaining skills and making money was what UO gameplay was all about. Nowadays, everyone wants to start on day one with a castle, as much gold as you could possibly want, and all characters at 7x GM. That's not realistic, and it's not going to happen.

No one is talking about starting with a castle and a 7x.. Please your just taking my words and twisting them..And the game is meant to be played in alot of differnt ways if this is a pvp only server then it wont last the long run.

I don't mean to be an ass, but I've been here for a while and I've seen the same thing you posted over and over and over again. It's getting annoyingly repetitive. Every new player complains about things being too slow. They either chicken out and quit, or get over it and become better players for it. Which are you going to be? How about option 3 if the server wants more people they do something to improve.

You say you get tired of people saying this? So they should fix it and make it so more people stay around. Vet's come and go.. So the only way to get more people on the server is to make it easier for them to get started.. Many companys find this to be true..

Also, the reason people tell you to join a guild is because some guilds will help new players gain skills. Then some guilds will take advantage of ur noobiness and gank you for fun. If you wanna start out most efficiently, the best advice I can give is to find a guild that stands for the same things you do and try to join them. Maybe they can help you build up your characters. (But, it sounds like some wise person already gave you that advice.)

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

nea to target date = fail = *thumbs down* suck it up and do whatever everyone else did
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Dallaswolf wrote:
Atraxi wrote:(1) So, because you're new, the GMs should give you free gold and skillpoints that aren't available to those of us who have been here for a while? No Im saying maybe give new players a 48 hour Skill gain increase or yeah 50 extra skill point's..It allows someone to get up and going and playing the game faster..

(2) You think that after "a few days" of playing, you should have skills and equipment sufficient to defeat seasoned players? If you could completely rule the game after "a few days", why would you play for longer than that? Seems like it would get boring after a while. No did I say that? I'm not talking about making a 7x in 2 days and not everyone is in it to pvp. I am talking about a toon to be able to go out and make money to start playing the game rather then having to ask for hang outs or just getting tired and quitting..

(3) There's plenty of spots available for houses, and sparse housing space is era accurate from what I'm told. lol OSI HAD FULL SERVERS SO YES HOUSEING WAS SPARSE but there where 100x more players..

There was a time when gaining skills and making money was what UO gameplay was all about. Nowadays, everyone wants to start on day one with a castle, as much gold as you could possibly want, and all characters at 7x GM. That's not realistic, and it's not going to happen. No one is talking about starting with a castle and a 7x.. Please your just taking my words and twisting them..

I don't mean to be an ass, but I've been here for a while and I've seen the same thing you posted over and over and over again. It's getting annoyingly repetitive. Every new player complains about things being too slow. They either chicken out and quit, or get over it and become better players for it. Which are you going to be? How about option 3 if the server wants more people they do something to improve. You say you get tired of people saying this? So they should fix it and make it so more people stay around. Vet's come and go.. So the only way to get more people on the server is to make it easier for them to get started.. Many companys find this to be true..

It took me a second to find your response mixed in with my quote. That was a strange way to answer.

I understand that new players wish things were easier. I did when I was new. Now that I've established myself, I'm happy it wasn't easy. That would have been boring and I probably wouldn't be here now.

It's true that it takes a while to make a mage. There are plenty of ways to make a living starting out. They might not be as fun as taking on a Balron with nothing but a bag full of regs, but they make money:
-- Chop wood and make bows to sell to NPCs.
-- Go mining and sell bulk ingots to players.
-- Fish. You can start with shore fishing until you get really high up. I know fish steaks sell cheap, but by the time you get to the mid-90s (which, I believe, is where you have to start deep sea fishing), you should have tens of thousands of fish, which cut into 4x as many fish-steaks.
-- Make a dexxer and run around Ocllo killing low level monsters and collecting the gold.
-- Train a bard (except for the expensive mage skills of course) and run around Ocllo provoing low level monsters and collecting the gold.
Ocllo is a great tool for new players that nobody ever seems to use. There's an abundance of monsters there and rarely any pks. By the time you circle the island, the mobs in the area where you started should have respawned. You can run in circles all day long getting rich, while the other noobs are dying in dungeons.

The list goes on and on. There's plenty of ways for new players to make money and gain skills without the GMs giving you an unfair advantage.

TBH, I did something most people wouldn't have done. I actually discussed the issue with you. Most people would have just said "NEA" and told you to shut up.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

atraxi like i just did because i am sick of listing all and or some of the different ways to start out like you just did on the forums :) every time we get another of these type of post :) 50 lumberjack 50 bowcraft noob alt is nice(vendor the bows) , occlo dexer as well and jelholm gy is another nice spot for a noob dexer very very risk free can stand outside the fence in the corner and bank and gy are insanely close.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I agree with Atraxi.
The players I respect the most are the ones who refuse to take hand-outs, or insist upon paying it back (although I usually tell them to pay it forward).

If you get bonus skill gains, free this that or the other thing, you'll grow bored because you got benefits for nothing. Once you have to work for things, you'll burn out because you didn't work from the start.

Trust me, it is not hard at all to get some 7x characters and a ton of loot on this shard if you just PLAY THE GAME.
Look at me. I'm 9 months in, known by most of the active player base and have no need for MORE loot. I can laugh about the death(s) when they happen because I've been around long enough to not carry my entire in-game net worth around in my pack.

Welcome to UOSA and I hope you've got the grit to work yourself up and stick around for the fun.
I never wished it was easier and in fact, I'm of the opinion that it is TOO easy to build characters here. Anyone with the money can crank out a 7x GM in a week or two. Totally inaccurate but that's how the cookie crumbles here.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

I know this is off-topic, but I can already see this conversation chasing its tail, so I'm going to steer this another way.

Your name is Dallaswolf. Is that named for the city in Texas?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Dallaswolf wrote:So as a New player on this server but long time OSI player I wanted to give some input.

There needs to be a way for new players to ramp up faster..Skill wise,Gold wise
And the whole join a guild theme is not the right answer. I joined this server a few days ago and all I have been doing it macroing my skills and Im not even close to being done. Could I go out with a half done Toon to die and lose my rune and have to run back to town or pray to find a res. But with the number of PK's/Griefer's it would just be a waste of time. Also there has to be a better housing system.. There are a ton of empty houses on this server.

I know I'm just some guy but if you wanna get new players we need to make it easier for them to start so they don't just give up and quit.
I enjoy the heck out of this stage of the game. Trying to fully equip with bone armor in the Britain graveyard... fill my spellbook with spells from liches when I can... finally getting a Recall scroll and a Mark scroll and buy a rune to Deceit to copy and really ramp up my hunting.

Dallaswolf

Post by Dallaswolf »

Atraxi wrote:I know this is off-topic, but I can already see this conversation chasing its tail, so I'm going to steer this another way.

Yeah its the City in texas..

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Dallaswolf wrote:
Atraxi wrote:I know this is off-topic, but I can already see this conversation chasing its tail, so I'm going to steer this another way.

I'm from Dallas. I live in Irving. Are you from Dallas or just a big fan? :P

Dallaswolf

Post by Dallaswolf »

Atraxi wrote:
Dallaswolf wrote:

No I live in garland and work in addison.. I grew up here..

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Dallaswolf wrote:
Atraxi wrote:
Dallaswolf wrote:

No I live in garland and work in addison.. I grew up here..
Cool. Well, nice to see a fellow Texan. :D

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

Go around Yew bank and find some cheap silver weapons...head to Deceit fire ele room or any graveyard and starting droppin liches.

Go to Yew sheep farms, get the wool off the sheeps, and then you can make your own bandages.

Do this for a few hours and you'll have enough to get a house and/or start a bard mage (for easier/faster money making).

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

You dont need a 7x-gm to have fun on this game. I been playing for over a year and I have a nice bank acct / land ownership. You dont need free gold and faster skill gain to go out there and whoop some ass.

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service