Tactics Gains slower than OSI

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Xarx

Tactics Gains slower than OSI

Post by Xarx »

Hi,

Tactics gains seem much much slower than retail UO, I have been GM swords for a while, almost GM wres and tactics is only 80s.

I remember back in the day I could GM tactics before swords.

Thank you,
Xarx

Derrick

Re: Tactics Gains slower than OSI

Post by Derrick »

This is the first report I've heard of people not GMing Tactics first. You have a chance to gain tactics every time you do damage, and it's not difficulty based like the weapons skills are.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Xarx,

That doesn't seem very logical since tactics only raises when you hit something. A weapon skill on the other hand has a possible chance to gain rather you hit or miss. This would mean before you even began advancing in tactics at a quicker pace you would have to be at a higher rate in your weapon skill than tactics. I remember it working this way personally. I think the weapon skills are a little faster compared to what tactics is though. They need to be slowed down slightly.

Xarx

Post by Xarx »

I have a noob i just made with 96.6 swords and 61.2 tactics starting from zero, my warrior char is 100swords and 80tactics been gm swords a while now.

weapons seem to gain really fast compared to tactics.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Yes this also happened to me. Tactics lags way far behind all melee skills.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Faust

Post by Faust »

Xarx wrote:weapons seem to gain really fast compared to tactics.
I definitely agree with you on this.

platy

Post by platy »

I concur, tactics goes slower than melee

Xarx

Post by Xarx »

Swordsmanship 100.0 100.0 +0.8 100.0
Tactics 67.1 67.1 +0.8 100.0

Here are my results on my newly created character. Fighting My other char with 100swords 80ish tact.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Yes, Tactics takes forever.

I usually GM 2 combat skills by the time Tactics finishes.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Slade

Post by Slade »

This is because absolutely no one does it properly.

I've made four characters with tactics. Each time I complete my weapon skill and wrestling, tactics is about 96-98.

You need to fight someone with ZERO combat skill for the first 40-50 points of your weapon skill. 50+ is best. This will ensure that you are actively making contact as much as possible. Once above 45ish real skill, switch to someone with GM for the rest.

If you guys are sitting there with 0 swords/tactics and fighting someone with 100 in their comat skill, I don't feel sorry for you if you get to 100 and only have 60 tactics. You spent the first 50 points of your combat skill not HITTING them. You MUST make contact in order to check tactics for gains. Why do people not understand this?

Once I hit 100 in my combat skill, I'll use a fast weapon and fight someone with ZERO skill. This will result in 95%+ hit rate and tactics will finish quickly.

This isn't tough, people!

Edit: I don't remember being able to pick up a sword and have swordsmanship and tactics go up hand in hand. But once wrestling finishes, you should be almost there. If not, do the 100 vs 0 thing I mentioned. Tactics will fly.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Slade has got it right

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

I have a "macro slave" that I use for combat skills. He has 100 swords and 0 wrestling. I alternate in between holding a skinning knife when the character is high and wrestling when the characters isn't. I understand how the mechanics work. In reality people shouldn't be able to have a setup like this though, because you couldn't gain combat skills off other players back then. That is the reason they went to the earth elementals in Shame and the Bone Knight room in Deceit instead.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Then I guess we better hurry up!
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

alatar

Post by alatar »

Faust wrote:I have a "macro slave" that I use for combat skills. He has 100 swords and 0 wrestling. I alternate in between holding a skinning knife when the character is high and wrestling when the characters isn't. I understand how the mechanics work. In reality people shouldn't be able to have a setup like this though, because you couldn't gain combat skills off other players back then. That is the reason they went to the earth elementals in Shame and the Bone Knight room in Deceit instead.
It's just like a cheat book eh? I have the exact setup.. :wink:
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Ebywok

Post by Ebywok »

The problem is that Weapon gains come too easily, not that tactics is too slow. It definitely took me more than 2 days to have gm weapon skill on OSI!!!