New to the game but have a suggestion..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
trusoria

New to the game but have a suggestion..

Post by trusoria »

Hi, how is everyone?

Me and my friend are new to the game. So far, I really like how it's magic and swords. We're into D&D-like roleplaying, so this goes well or so we thought. However, so far, we haven't been able to hunt for longer than five minutes before being killed by another player, who proceeded to kill us repeated as we go back for our bodies.

I had to go back to my body because it had my reagents in it and being a mage, i needed them to hunt monsters that could give me gold or loot.

Of course, every time we were killed by many many other players, we lose what little gold we've collected (less than 100).

They freeze us right away before we can run away or cast any spell to escape. So, people on these forums that say that you can escape killers....maybe i can know some other ways around this?? Anyway, my friend's getting annoyed at having wasted several hours of his life running as a ghost and not having the "chance" to play or increase his skills. We hope that we don't quit soon and will hang on a few more tries...

Anyway, my suggestion is that ....why can't we switch on/off a "PK" flag if we want to battle and battle others "PK" flagged people if we meet them? But if we don't have the PK flag ON, then no other player can hurt us even if they are PK flagged ON. That way PK people can still battle against PK people and other people who PK temporarily but leave people who want to make this world a social and fun place to grow their avatars?

Thank you,

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: New to the game but have a suggestion..

Post by RoadKill »

This is part of the game. EA eventually added a place called "Trammel" to Ultima Online which created a clone-map of Britannia which had no PKs and no thieves. This shard does not have Trammel.

I can suggest for new players, there are many areas that most PKs don't go to. You'll learn as you play, part of the Ultima Online experience is the fact that you're welcome to do almost anything in the world.

Try Britain Sewers, it sounds silly, but those rats will yield you a good amount of money as a new player. Also look for sheep to shear (use a daggar, click a sheep, get it's wool) and cotton fields (double click the cotton and then pick it up). These can be used to create bandages which will help you as a new player.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Faust

Post by Faust »

Most pk's now days have no respect. They will dry loot your corpse including runes, and than they next will proceed by killing your horse like they receive such a grand reward after doing it. If you encounter any of the true old school pk's they will at least leave your runes, junk, and horse alive. I won't lie to you though, there are not many of them left.

My only suggestion is to go by what someone else previously said to another fellow. It is all about risk vs reward. If you're dirt poor hunt in spots that aren't frequented by pk'ers. The money won't be the best, but it will help you get to a point where you can start risking your life for a better reward. Start out low by hording small amounts of cash back and forth. For example, accumilate 1k and return it to the bank and continue doing that until you're pretty well off to take more of a risk. If you are unable to recall than go to very unpopulated places like the orc fort and crappy dungeons. There is a guide for all the dungeons in the Guide forum section that lets you know the risk for pk'ers.

Hope that helps some... Good luck.

Divvet

Post by Divvet »

Unfortunately, this isn’t going to happen, because it was not like this during the time of the second age on official servers.
However there was a suggestion to implement the young player system, which allowed new players to be free from attack for a week or 40 hours in game playtime, cant remember if that’s the correct hours n what not, but anyways, although no one could suggest any possible way that this could be exploited, it was turned down. So until they do decide to put this in, you’re stuck.
My suggestion would be to explore a little, and go to towns and areas less frequently hunted by PKs.
I know how you feel about the annoyance of people repeatedly killing you, but unfortunately there are people who are gay enough to do this.
My only thought is the young player system would help prevent this, or help new players, and not have them quit straight away after joining.

trusoria

Post by trusoria »

Oh Thank so much for the following Tips:

"Try Britain Sewers, it sounds silly, but those rats will yield you a good amount of money as a new player. Also look for sheep to shear (use a daggar, click a sheep, get it's wool) and cotton fields (double click the cotton and then pick it up). These can be used to create bandages which will help you as a new player."

We'll definitely use these tips... i think that it's great how basic resources have to be gathered to make something. Thanks!!

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

try running around on the the island of occlo and look for stuff to hunt in the hillside
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

trusoria

Post by trusoria »

Thank you EVERYONE for the great tips!

We'll definitely try all those tips tonight!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Feel free to PM me for a mini "tour" of places you may find useful in your early days. But as suggested, buy a horse, bank your valuables, and run around the world and explore
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

an important thing for newer players to do is get involved on IRC
you will get help from all the veteran players on the server who are more than willing to help you out
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

join NEW.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Eat Brittain is rarely - of ever traveled by PK's and i'm fairly certain you will make more than 100 gold nearly every ettin kill..../ogre/troll/air elemental/orc lord.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.