New to the Shard

Topics related to Second Age
HoneyBadger

New to the Shard

Post by HoneyBadger »

Hey everyone. I played UO back in the day. I'm looking to get back into. I work full time as a software developer and my wife and I just had a baby so I won't be on all the time.

Been reading other posts from new people and it looks like it can be a little tough getting started. Provo/Magery the easiest to get a quick cashflow going?

I like how many people are on, I mean ~500 is pretty good for a game this old. Hope to see some of you in game and hopefully I won't be posting a rage reply in a couple days like the other new people posts! :)

folo

Re: New to the Shard

Post by folo »

This is what I did when I started here to get some immediate action:

Create 2 accounts (you are allowed to have 3 accounts max)

Make a bard on one account: 50 magery, 49 resist or meditation, 1 provocation or music, 60 str, 10 dex, 10 int
Make a warrior on the other account: 50 swords, 50 healing 60 str, 10 int, 10 dex

Immediately start macroing the bard by provoking an animal behind a fence etc onto yourself. In about 48h this character will be GM Music/Provo and gained a significant amount of dex and int. Check out the second macro on this page: http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Provocation

Once the bard is macroing away, get your warrior to the sheep pens in Yew, stroll around randomly in the woods and find some sheep to sheer. Get to a tanner shop, use the wool on a loom and spin the threads on a spinning wheel. Cut the bolt of cloth into sheets of cloth. Cut the sheets into bandages. Bingo! Now get out in the overland woods and kill low-mid end monsters for cash and items. Get some armor when you can afford it.

Once the bard is done, start using it. Roam the overlands and provoke ogres, trolls, ettins, gargoyles, air eles, water eles, sea serpents etc. Stay out of the dungeons, the Cove orc fort and the Yew lich spawn and you're at very low risk of getting pk'd. Bank often!

Farm for cash and get a small house to macro in. GM Music/Provo/Magery/resist/wrestling/med/eval/100 str/100 int/25 dex is a solid build for general purpose farming. You might want to swap out eval for hiding.

Have fun!

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Don't ever start with resist points. You can use fire field to go from 0 - 55 resist in less then 30 mins.

HoneyBadger

Post by HoneyBadger »

damn folo good stuff. I didn't expect such a legit reply. I'll get that going soon. Thanks. I have to sneak off with my macbook dual booted to play at night once the baby is asleep. I'll def stay out of dungeons because I'll be on during primetime.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Rose wrote:Don't ever start with resist points. You can use fire field to go from 0 - 55 resist in less then 30 mins.
When I make a new tank mage, I find the easiest way to:

1) start with 50/magery 50/resist max str
2) buy up a bunch of random skills untill your at 700 skill cap (anyything but cooking, snooping and herding, make sure not to use these skills at all until you need them for stat gains, ideally they should all be at 0 with the arrow up and not gaining because your at skill cap)
3) use snooping untill 100 dex
4) GM swords, tactics and wrestling from a hireling
5) GM eval . . .
6) 100 str with herding
7) 100 int with cooking
8) GM magery/med/resist
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

HoneyBadger

Post by HoneyBadger »

Nice good stuff Kabal. Also do you get anything for donating? 8)

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

HoneyBadger wrote:Nice good stuff Kabal. Also do you get anything for donating? 8)
Huge piles of gold!!! (under your name in forums)
There is no in-game benefit to donation, aside from the shard continuing to operate. :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Rose's method of starting with meditation instead of resist might be a little bit faster since it gets you to 55 but its a hassle to repeatedly cast fire fields and run through them and heal when you can just afk macro instead.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Kabal wrote:Rose's method of starting with meditation instead of resist might be a little bit faster since it gets you to 55 but its a hassle to repeatedly cast fire fields and run through them and heal when you can just afk macro instead.
Personally, I'd say it's a bigger hassle to get the regs for a new person to afk macro (with fireball and then lightning?) up to 55 resist when it takes like 20-30 of each Fire field reg and 100 bandages to do it the other way. I think macroing time at that early in the game is precious ;), and it's a lot cheaper to go the firefield route.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

HoneyBadger

Post by HoneyBadger »

I'm currently macroing provo/music at the zoo in Moonglow. I'm effin pumped this brings back so many good memories. I do wish I had some gp for a horse but I guess once my provo is higher i can go kill some ish. Thanks for all the tips guys.