Too much magic loot

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Too much magic loot

Post by Sulta »

Hi, I hope players don't get mad for me mentioning this but my husband and I who played osi T2A years ago were playing last night and were amazed by the amount of magic drops we were getting. Right now we are only fighting ettins, orks, trolls, ogers, etc. In four hours of playing we had gotten 3 treasure maps, and a lot of magic items (not from doing the treasure maps hehe). I hadn't planned on posting about it so I didn't get the exact number last night but I would say at least seven but more likely it was 12, I'm just not sure though. Of those at least 3 were nice, a couple were ok, and two were "cursed" - neg. spell effect.

I just wanted to mention that the loot seems a little high end and high frequency for what we are fighting compared to what we remember. Not that we minded, who doesn't like good drops; at the same time it seemed a little much. (and that the high drop rate would hurt player to player economy?)

(I also read the thread about skeletons and bone armor and agree that bone armor drops way more than it used to.)

Just my 2 cents about something I noticed.
Thanks

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Too much magic loot

Post by RoadKill »

How many of these items were silver, force, power, or vanquishing? Finding magic items has always been pretty easy in UO, but usually it's a worthless item you'll just end up selling to an NPC or dropping at a bank
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

My three best from last night were
- accurate spear of vanq.
- fortified accurate black staff of force
- silver durable accurate kryss

(also got a studded tunic of fortification and an expertly drawn t-map)

Not bad for the mobs we were fighting.

I don't know, maybe I'm just remembering wrong...it's been so long I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Plus I played on a very populated shard so we weren't able to go from mob to mob like we have found we are able to do here.

I hope you understand I wasn't complaining, my husband and I are so happy to have found this shard and have a place to play that is so much like what we used to play...I just wanted to mention the one thing I saw as kind of different. I'll pay more attention the next time and see how many of what magic items we get, maybe we just had a good night lol.

Thanks!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the post. We of course have a ton of comments on the other side of this too, that loot drops aren't enough. This may have been a fluke, Vanqs especially should be relatively rare.

This post is a refreshing, the majority of comments on loot have been that things are too rare.

Thanks!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Sulta wrote: I hope you understand I wasn't complaining, my husband and I are so happy to have found this shard and have a place to play that is so much like what we used to play...I just wanted to mention the one thing I saw as kind of different. I'll pay more attention the next time and see how many of what magic items we get, maybe we just had a good night lol.

Thanks!
I was more curious to know what type of drops they were because I've seen new player say similar things and most of the time the magic items they were getting were completely worthless (ie "a durable broadsword" or a "kryss of ruin" .. things that aren't even as good as an exceptional weapon basically)

You may have had a good night, I've noticed more of a problem with the amount of gems that drop compared to the amount of magic items though (a lot of gems can be found on silly creatures like harpies, rats, and other weakies)
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

Last night hunting by myself was a much more "normal" night. I agree Roadkill with you on the gems I remember there being a good number of them, but not worth so much as they are here...I think they sold for less which was perhaps because more people were selling them back and it was hard to hit a merchant and sell them for top price (I think, but I don't remember anything for sure). I remember specifically fighting earth elementals and leaving the gems and ore and just taking the cash lol.

I know it isn't from hunting but from a level one chest I did get another vanq weapon last night.

I'm glad that my post was refreshing because I didn't want it to seem...well negative in any way. Although I like how hard it was to find silver/vanq weapons so long ago I also think that had a lot to do with numbers.

Thanks for taking a look at and replying to my post!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Sulta wrote:
I know it isn't from hunting but from a level one chest I did get another vanq weapon last night.
Treasure chests have the same chance to drop a vanquishing item no matter what the treasure map level is. Higher chests just have more items in them, so it raises more opportunity for getting quality items

ichi

Post by ichi »

I also remember magic items being much more rare on monster corpses back in t2a.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

well terathens dropped a magic wep everytime and u had good chances to find good stuff. here hard to get good stuff from em.

Anyway, you couldn't have gotten a vanq from the creatures you were fighting because each monster has a loot table and vanquishings don't drop from such creatures as ettins. (confirmed by wintersleep)
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

Flash Hardstar wrote: Anyway, you couldn't have gotten a vanq from the creatures you were fighting because each monster has a loot table and vanquishings don't drop from such creatures as ettins. (confirmed by wintersleep)
ok, well...I don't know if you are saying I don't have it, or that I got it from a different type of monster.

It is possible I could have gotten it from a different monster than an ettin because when I'm out hunting I don't id items right away but I think the highest/hardest monster I had fought at that point had been a gazer. I think I fought one or two of those but mostly I was fighting ettins, orks, spawn in the swamps, skeletons...newbish type creatures if you get my meaning. Since finding those weapons I have moved up a bit...but I already had the weapons in my bank...

And I'm still willing to stand behind the fact that I am sure that the number of good magic found at newbish levels (I haven't gone higher on this shard yet...like to terathans to be able to comment on those) is still high compared to original. It was just an observation though.