Player Vendors in Town - Great idea, please read

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
rredas

Player Vendors in Town - Great idea, please read

Post by rredas »

Here is the sugestion: allow players to have their vendors inside guarded zone towns - example: Britain.
There are many abandoned / with no utility houses in Britain (specially in the right part of the city) which could be useful for players to install their own vendors, promoting guarded commerce within the city and increasing the trades flow between players: everyone comes out wining with this. Players would have a larger variety of goods within the city and crafters would in incentived to produce more.
The stores / houses would be actioned between the players interested and the highest bid would win the right to use the store for an estimated period of time (per example: 2 weeks). At the end of the 2 weeks, another auction would take place to give the opportunity of another player to install his player vendors.
Hope to hear reactions from everyone !

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Player Vendors in Town - Great idea, please read

Post by Hoots »

i dont really think this is that great of an idea.

1. buying items from vendors has a risk of thiefs and reds... I know reds that patrol well known vendor areas.
2. how much could you bid on a spot per week or 2 week period and see that return from sales. When a good vendor house goes on the market it can be for 100-200k or more bc you are buying the "lifetime" of returns from the vendors,
3. Vendors have always been about player control... in other words... if you want a good vendor keep him stocked, take the time to advertise, use your means (guilds/friends) to keep the area safe from reds and theifs. You do all of this and do it daily/weekly and you will have an awesome vendor.

I think this is kind of a trammel type idea.

Just my opinion.

-Hoots

edit, this idea would also suck for crafters. there are only so many goods players can make and if you had a central location like this the lowest price would sell and that is it. So the people selling spellbooks at 4k, potion kegs near cost and gm weaps at 100 GP would essentially make it that it isnt worth the time and effort for other players to craft. Every other vendor would be selling the same stuff...

rredas

Post by rredas »

In response, I desagree with you.

The subject of the 2 weeks was merely an example. Of course that if the player is only getting the store for 2 weeks (which is short period), the bid for the auction would NEVER reach 200k, unless you are confident that your gonna make at least that amount of money in 2 weeks - the wining bid should reflect the least amount that the wining bider is expecting to earn with the store.
This gets to the other part of the question: prices of the goods sold in GZ. Since the owner of the store paid a lot of gold (or a moderate amount) to have the space, his prices will have to be higher than the other vendors outside Guard Zone. Why ? Because he made an investment and he wants its return. He is not competing directly with vendors outside GZ - it's 2 different markets that are created. One is safe (inside GZ, totally protected), the other is unsafe (as much as you want us to believe that you patrol your vendor, inside GZ is safer). So it's easy - Inside GZ is more expensive than outside GZ.
Vendors outside Guard Zone would be forced to innovate and present better solutions for buyers - or even compete for a store inside GZ !
Do you think that the shard doesn't have enough number of players to demand from this two kinds of markets ? Well, I say let's give it a shot. May the best and most atractive market win.
An experimental period would give us an idea about it.

Discussion is open and getting interesting.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Reason this will never be put in ...

... it never happened in UO history, especially not during this era.

Case closed.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

rredas wrote:In response, I desagree with you.

The subject of the 2 weeks was merely an example. Of course that if the player is only getting the store for 2 weeks (which is short period), the bid for the auction would NEVER reach 200k, unless you are confident that your gonna make at least that amount of money in 2 weeks - the wining bid should reflect the least amount that the wining bider is expecting to earn with the store.

This gets to the other part of the question: prices of the goods sold in GZ. Since the owner of the store paid a lot of gold (or a moderate amount) to have the space, his prices will have to be higher than the other vendors outside Guard Zone. Why ? Because he made an investment and he wants its return. He is not competing directly with vendors outside GZ -

it's 2 different markets that are created. One is safe (inside GZ, totally protected), the other is unsafe (as much as you want us to believe that you patrol your vendor, inside GZ is safer). So it's easy - Inside GZ is more expensive than outside GZ.

Vendors outside Guard Zone would be forced to innovate and present better solutions for buyers - or even compete for a store inside GZ !
Do you think that the shard doesn't have enough number of players to demand from this two kinds of markets ? Well, I say let's give it a shot. May the best and most atractive market win.
An experimental period would give us an idea about it.

Discussion is open and getting interesting.

Horrible Idea. =/

Even if it did take off.

1.It'd take away from player run towns that people have worked to create.
2.People would never see a return save for new guys who'd pretty much get ripped off because the vendor's owner is trying to make his money back and get a profit.
3. It's not accurate by even todays Uo standards as was said earlier.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Jaster wrote:Reason this will never be put in ...

... it never happened in UO history, especially not during this era.

Case closed.

x2

rredas

Post by rredas »

It's always a risk if you go to auction, you'll just have to take it - that's not a valid argument for not doing it.

It HAS happened in UO history, just not this era - your right.

Maybe this is the best argument for not doing it, all of the rest are conservative crap from people who don't want to lose their established business.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

rredas wrote: It HAS happened in UO history, just not this era - your right.
Which era did this happen in?
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

rredas wrote:

Maybe this is the best argument for not doing it, all of the rest are conservative crap from people who don't want to lose their established business.
this is funny.. Please tell when this has happened on OSI. I dont even run vendors any more... I have 2 crazy good vendor spots with 20k visits and a gm in every craftable skill and dont keep them stocked due to RL time constraints and much, much easier methods of making money on this shard.

Most people are trying to be nice in this thread but the fact is this is a terrible, trammy, newbied, crybaby idea.

Regards.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Hoots wrote:
rredas wrote:

this is funny.. Please tell when this has happened on OSI. I dont even run vendors any more... I have 2 crazy good vendor spots with 20k visits and a gm in every craftable skill and dont keep them stocked due to RL time constraints and much, much easier methods of making money on this shard.

Most people are trying to be nice in this thread but the fact is this is a terrible, trammy, newbied, crybaby idea.Regards.
x2

Plus I don't even run a vendor. So me not wanting to lose my established business is an invalid retort.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

rredas

Post by rredas »

So, the agressiveness shown by one is subscribed by the other: this is only a forum, not your own personal frustrations escape. You are giving a fine image of yourselves.

I am not here to lower the discussion level even more, so I'm off. Have fun

Xukluk Tuguznal

rredas wrote:It's always a risk if you go to auction, you'll just have to take it - that's not a valid argument for not doing it.

When you keep making post with no substantial evidence and on top of that tossing comments back as invalid because you don't like them. Then we find other means of getting it through.

Uo has always been about Risk .vs. Rewards. Shopping is no different.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

rredas wrote:So, the agressiveness shown by one is subscribed by the other: this is only a forum, not your own personal frustrations escape. You are giving a fine image of yourselves.

I am not here to lower the discussion level even more, so I'm off. Have fun
I was the first response in this thread. Not only have you not responded to any of the valid reasons why this idea isnt good (in my opinion), you continued to tell us this has been a part of OSI and then even continued to telluthose of us who disagree with you we are doing it for selfish business reasons and want to avoid losses on our own venders....

So you may want to thing twice before throwing out the "fine image of yourselves" card...

Regards

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

On osi there were plenty of player placed houses inside of guard zone in excellent vendor locations, the most obvious is the one right beside britain east bank, it fits perfectly in the spot on along the road and was always stocked with vendors on every server. There were some in moonglow also and vesper behind the mage shop.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]