I know I shouldn't ask, but...

Topics related to Second Age
Gafron

I know I shouldn't ask, but...

Post by Gafron »

what is it you griefers get out of being douche bags to others? I'm not talking about people who want to engage in PvP because, let's face it, I know of no game with npcs that are challenging and it is perfectly understandeable to want a challenge. I even understand why some go around murdering for profit. What I'm talking about are the people that go around doing things, no more challenging than if they were just grinding npcs, solely to ruin other peoples day. Killing macroing players or murdering anyone you can even when you know there is going to be very litlle or no profit or challenge in it.

Is that kind of behavior just down to some kind of perverse thrill to be had out of causing grief to others with no real consequences or what?

Addendum:

Just need to add this for the reading comprehension challenged out there. This is not a rage post. There was no all caps yelling or exclamation marking. I was not angry at anyone when I wrote it. Yes, I have been griefed in UO and other games in the past and have had plenty of players attempt to grief me on this shard but I was fully aware before I started playing here that, because of the timeframe emulated, griefing behavior would exist. If this was going to bother me much I would not have started playing here. This topic was started solely to try to understand the mentatility of the griefer. Something I have been trying to understand for ages now. Also my definition of a griefer is set out by the above statement "people that go around doing things, no more challenging than if they were just grinding npcs, solely to ruin other peoples day. Killing macroing players or murdering anyone you can even when you know there is going to be very litlle or no profit or challenge in it."
Last edited by Gafron on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkmalus

Re: I know I shouldn't ask, but...

Post by darkmalus »

I sincerely enjoy killing peoples macroing chars.. Lets face it its fun killing nubs and ppl you dont like. FOR EXAMPLE if you know a few nubs who love to act hard 3 vs 1 then u find out where they live and they are macroing away without a care in the world... KILL them; laugh, and do it again.. a kills a kill right. OR if your really bored looking for idocs and come across some random poor sob macroing away Kill them laugh and do it again. Really I dont see whats not fun about it. Just saying because you asked..

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I came across reds hiding in dungeons afk revealed them and didn't even kill them.
It's no fun really to fight things that don't fight back.
Most people do that because they fail in game... just saying
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I don't think you guys understand what "griefing" is. Killing you (afk or not) is NOT griefing.

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I don't think you guys understand what "griefing" is. Killing you (afk or not) is NOT griefing.
So, causing grief to others is not griefing? :)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

8) when I want to kill things that wont fight me back I'll farm and drop summons ,provoke, or something.
I just don't get a kick of killing people afk. I wouldn't mind setting traps or ambushes, dirty fighting I am okay with.

AFK people have no risk involved whatsoever.

Some want the LULZ others adventure.

Trashing Homeless Newbs is just petty, killing those afk in their own homes is pointless. Yeah they died, not because you had skill, but rather because the game allowed you to. Bravo... you can do what anyone could, maybe your mommies will post your screen shots on their fridges.

TG Archer bots have more honor I say...at least they gave people the chance to retaliate

The ONLY real reason to do that is to get more action on the field...but since its done primarily by throwaway newbs that point is moot for the majority of you
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Actually play the game, instead of macroing. Problem solved.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Light Shade wrote:Actually play the game, instead of macroing. Problem solved.
Let me guess you started off using anatomy on every rat you fought in brits sewers?

Or you never in your life once raised from stat loss?

If you say you never macro you lie

But lets have the griefers come out for a roll call shall we, the young up starts need to know whom they should target with their 6th circles besides those throwaways that really have no use for names.

The reason I say its those who fail are those who grief its because those are the ones who push you out before you are ready to make for easy kills....

Kind of like thinning the herd to take your choice of prey

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

If you dont macro at WBB, serps,yew and vesper. you have about a 95-99% chance of never being bothered or even seen.

Im not an AFK killer, but when i see macro'ers at the obvious locations i secretly wish that afk killers come along and bomb them.

Honestly, who cant get a 7x7 to macro 100% safely in? You can restock from lock downs if needed...

And if you are truly that hard up for cash. Ill throw a small down somewhere for you to friend/co-own on...

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I like to steal stuff. One way to do that is to kill an AFK player and loot him. I get no joy from the killing, and don't like taking counts, so I don't do it often. But I like the loot. To me it's just part of the game, a risk you take if you're AFK. Relax, or don't AFK macro.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

In order for a player to be "griefer" status, he/she would have to do something that in no way gives gain to his/her self, excluding pure emotional enjoyment. And it would also have to be something that ruins a game experience for the player that is being griefed.
Since you weren't playing- Not exactly sure how ruining your non-game playing experience would fall into the above. But don't get me wrong I see what you mean, it's annoying and such but the best thing to do is find a place out in the middle of nowhere and skill up there or just do so at the bank, use restock agents, etc.. Hope that helps.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I was simply pointing out that people are choosing...yes choosing...to leave their players vulnerable either through ignorance or willful stupidity. The logical next step is to figure out how to protect yourself. The illogical step is to NOT adapt a.nd not learn
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

HI!

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

This post is hilarious.. Killiing afk people with not loot is definitely griefing.. no benefit really right?

The fact that he posted here proves it worked. Whoever made him rage just won uo.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

Light Shade wrote:Actually play the game, instead of macroing. Problem solved.
So you didn't macro to raise any of your skills? All of your skill points come from actual live game play?