Flying Creatures

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Flying Creatures

Post by Alex21 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't creatures such as birds and dragons actually fly in T2A? Like not just a flying animation as they walk, but moving quite fast and at altitude? Anyone already addressed this?

Thanks,
Alex.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Flying Creatures

Post by testuseraccount »

You know, its weird; I don't remember this at all; but it seems like one of those things you overlook and take for granted at the time.

Have you checked to see if its in the demo yet?

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

testuseraccount wrote:You know, its weird; I don't remember this at all; but it seems like one of those things you overlook and take for granted at the time.

Have you checked to see if its in the demo yet?
No, I don't have the demo/normally research these things.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

How it is currently is how I seem to remember things back then.

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by testuseraccount »

Heres a good place to start if you ever want to do any demo research, or look into things that may catch your curiosity.

http://uodemo.joinuo.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

There was a thread about this in the past. Their animations were the same, but they actually flew over things in T2A, whereas they don't here. On UOSA their flying is only an animation, they are restricted to the same movement as any other mobile.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28507&p=256542&
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

nightshark wrote:There was a thread about this in the past. Their animations were the same, but they actually flew over things in T2A, whereas they don't here. On UOSA their flying is only an animation, they are restricted to the same movement as any other mobile.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28507&p=256542&
So its already on the patch list?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Flying creatures should have a "fly mode" where they actually have their z axis changed by a small amount and can fly over specific objects. Creatures should enter fly mode when fleeing at low life, or occasionally when wandering around (which is why creatures would get "stuck" in unusual locations). As far as I'm aware, this functionality is not in place on UOSA, and is one of the things we have slated to be fixed at some point in the future.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

Ok. So what's the progress on this?

How about a solution before say, the weekend?

Only by setting goals can we meet them. It's science.

-Bicchus Dicchus

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The progress is minimal because this is an issue that's part of the larger issue of monster AI. We'd like to get monster AI working properly from the ground up, and that will take a complete rewrite. Until then, it's likely that most monster AI will stay functionally the same.

Godsend

Post by Godsend »

This is a picture off the back of the original T2A box. It shows a dragon flying away from arrows over a mountain, a bit more than a small z axis change.
Attachments
UO 001 (256x208).jpg
UO 001 (256x208).jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

Cousteau Calypso

Post by Cousteau Calypso »

OMG its been so long since Ive seen this pic. Nice.
~Treasure Hunter, Bard, and Merchant~

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That screenshot was taken before a series of changes occurred to the behavior of flying creatures that allowed them to avoid any and all obstacles such as mountains by having a much higher z axis shift. The ability of flying creatures allowed for housing break-in exploits, which led to the removal of the fetch command and later the flying attribute from nightmares. As far as we know, this behavior was ultimately alleviated by changing the height of their z axis shift when entering flying mode.

Ohm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ohm »

Kaivan wrote:Flying creatures should have a "fly mode" where they actually have their z axis changed by a small amount and can fly over specific objects. Creatures should enter fly mode when fleeing at low life, or occasionally when wandering around (which is why creatures would get "stuck" in unusual locations). As far as I'm aware, this functionality is not in place on UOSA, and is one of the things we have slated to be fixed at some point in the future.
This is in place here, for dragons anyway..

Sometimes in Wind one of my dragons will fall off a ledge on the marble walkways and is pretty much stuck since you cant gate out of Wind, unless you make it fly back over the ledge.

So it's z-axis does change somewhat when flying
[22:31:51] <wintergate> Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Kaivan wrote:That screenshot was taken before a series of changes occurred to the behavior of flying creatures that allowed them to avoid any and all obstacles such as mountains by having a much higher z axis shift. The ability of flying creatures allowed for housing break-in exploits, which led to the removal of the fetch command and later the flying attribute from nightmares. As far as we know, this behavior was ultimately alleviated by changing the height of their z axis shift when entering flying mode.
Hah. that box is still sitting on a shelf in my office. I always questioned if it was a screenshot or a photoshop.

Never saw anything like the picture in beta or day 1 of production up until a finally quit.

But that is neither here nor there... (and a little OT)

Regardless, that picture is awesome and gives me warm fuzzies when i think about the first time i saw it....