Forensic Eval

Moderator: Support Moderators

Mighty Atom

Forensic Eval

Post by Mighty Atom »

Can forensic evaluation be used to tell if someone is perma-grey. If so, at what % can you do this?

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Forensic Eval

Post by RoadKill »

Mighty Atom wrote:Can forensic evaluation be used to tell if someone is perma-grey. If so, at what % can you do this?
I believe it can be used to see if someone is in the Thieve's guild, not sure if it can detect perma-grey. It also can be used to see who killed and/or looted a corpse.

The skill should be percent-based, but when I have found the skill to be very odd here compared to how it was on OSI (gains were extremely slow past like 60 skill, tougher than most other "hard skills" and I always seemed to fail at IDing players)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Mighty Atom

Post by Mighty Atom »

I was able to macro forensics up to 75 very quickly and have been trying it out at Brit bank. So far I can only tell if someone is a thief or not, not if they are perma-grey. I'm not sure if its because the skill does not distinguish who is perma-grey or if its because i have not yet targeted anyone is actually perma-grey.

From reading essays on stratics, it seems that there was a time when you could determine if someone was perma-grey using forensics. It also says that if a player is perma-grey you do not have to be in the thieves guild to steal from them, is that the case here?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That should be the case. I'll verify this. You do not need to be in the thieves guild to steal from non blue players and a perma-grey theif should in all ways except visibly be treated as grey.

Mighty Atom

Post by Mighty Atom »

Sorry Derek, I'm still not clear on this. Can forensic eval determine if someone is perma-grey or not? If so, at what skill level can this aspect of forensic eval be used?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Forensic Eval cannot determine if someone is perma grey, only if they are a member of the thieves guild.
Useful becuase memers of the thieves guild cannot give murder counts.

The trick for telling if someone was perma-gray was via the stealing skill, I'm going to verify that this works properly

Mighty Atom

Post by Mighty Atom »

Ok, thanks!

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

What's a good way to macro forensics? What do you do about getting corpses to train on?

also,
This says that if you reveal someone is in the thieves guild using Forensics then you can attack them even if they aren't perma grey. This is from current stratics so might not be t2a

..."If you are a member of the NPC Thieve's Guild, any player who successfully uses the Forensic Evaluation skill to reveal your membership in said guild may either attack or steal from you. If a player attacks you and that player dies and reports you for murder, you will be suspended from the thieves guild for the amount of time it takes for the short murder count (8 hours) to decay. While suspended you still cannot give murder counts, but cannot use the disguise kit or steal from innocents."...

- http://uo.stratics.com/content/reputation/flags.shtml

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That's pretty interesting.

You can of course kill someone in the thieves guild without taking a murder count, but you will get guard whacked in town currently if you attack a blue thief that is not "pema-gray"

Information like this should really be posted in the "Suggestions and Era Accuracy" forum

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Eaglestaff wrote:What's a good way to macro forensics? What do you do about getting corpses to train on?

also,
This says that if you reveal someone is in the thieves guild using Forensics then you can attack them even if they aren't perma grey. This is from current stratics so might not be t2a

..."If you are a member of the NPC Thieve's Guild, any player who successfully uses the Forensic Evaluation skill to reveal your membership in said guild may either attack or steal from you. If a player attacks you and that player dies and reports you for murder, you will be suspended from the thieves guild for the amount of time it takes for the short murder count (8 hours) to decay. While suspended you still cannot give murder counts, but cannot use the disguise kit or steal from innocents."...

- http://uo.stratics.com/content/reputation/flags.shtml

I'm all for that, it would open up an "investigator" class of player and promote interaction among the thieves. Also Police the banks :P. I think it is worded incorectly though, and the forensics skill absolutely did not perform this function during T2A. At one time shortly before UO:R I macroed the skill up to the high 90's and was sad to learn that the only real benefit it has was to "blow off" the thief disguise and to learn who looted a corpse. I was expecting it to show "perma" status, but it did not even do that. But I hope that there is more information on this topic available somewhere because I think it would be a great addition.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

So if I was a master or Grandmaster theif who stole from only monsters I could possibly trick someone into attacking me if they thought because I was a theif I was also perma grey and then would be able to loot their corpse after being guardwhacked? I mean I could hide out in town next to a real perma grey and claim responsibility even should the perma grey theif hand me the stolen object in which to taunt the player with?
I could even boast like I am perma-grey...challenge me if you dare! A bold faced lie but effective.
Possible or nay?

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Past UO: T2A server I played on had Forensics capable of detecting perma grey. This led to Formation of the [COP] guild who pretty much wiped out in-town thieving all together. They would offer the thief a chance to stay in thier "jail" if refused, they would kill them. It was pretty funny.

Return to “New Player Help”