INCREASE POPULATION NOW******

Topics related to Second Age
skynyrd2

INCREASE POPULATION NOW******

Post by skynyrd2 »

The population is obviously down a bit although there is a great deal of action to still be had at certain times of day. UOSA is still the best UO freeserver out there and always will be. Look at the recent numbers despite a slight drop UOSA still ranks among the top and the ONLY t2a server to boot.

I personally believe the longevity of UOSA is mainly because it is one of the only freeserver that isn't a pvp based server and has an actual community (as strange as some are). UOSA doesn't have that arcade feel to it as most freeservers now do.

Now in UO or any MMORPG goals are what drive people, UO was/is so amazing because there are a vast majority of goals that can be obtained. Now to my point, say I am a New player that isn't a pvp oriented individual. Goal 1 Make a 7x 350k Goal 2 buy a large house 600k Goal 3 Buy a castle 4mil Goal 4 Let me get some cool sandals/mask/build an empire of houses 20-30 mil ?!! Those goals are way too out of range for someone to even think of obtaining.

Now you say , well people shouldn't play UOSA just for cool things. I agree but everyone farms/idocs/vendors for a reason and that reason is usually to make some kind of currency. But on UOSA the economy is so difficult to break into thus people end up giving up the game.

Why does the population increase after christmas? BC we give away trophies.
On OSI the economy was never let to be this stagnent so why are we letting this happen on UOSA.

Hued mask/Neon sandals are not era accurate so kick them. Neon hair dye/beard/black sandals etc however are not.

If the admins want silver to be out of the game create another avenue to get these items to pretty much devalue silver. If you want to keep silver in get other people into it.

Have 1 out of every 40 earth elementals spawn 1 silver or something ... do you know how many people would be in dungeons ? How many pks would come back? How many people would come back?

I know staff said no more CUB so I won't even post on that but I know the new GMs and players alike have a huge number of ideas of ways to implment something to even out the economy and not make it so difficult to break into.

I understand the fact we need to make our own fun and create our own action we I completely understand and if staff wants to sit back and chill that is also understood. I also don't believe in handouts to be a end all save to the server but my question to staff is ..

Why are we not doing something to make such an inflated economy a bit easier to break into for new players to accomplish whatever type of goals they might have?

The fact that IDOCs are main source of income is sad beacuse it just means people are quitting. I am not posting to flame and say omg do this we need the staff to do this but I am just asking question for reasoning and brainstorming for possible solutions if they are warranted and wanted.

You can create freshness to this server staying within the era accurate boundries. Why are we not doing this ?

I am in the same boat as many , no matter how dual the server gets I am still excited to play UO every night. I am also not one of the broke players who want 7 neon hair dyes I just want an economy that is easier to break into for many players to keep them around and bring back other players.

That is all,

Thanks for reading.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: INCREASE POPULATION NOW******

Post by Abyz »

A .05 chance for dungeon monsters to drop a silver coin would be neat.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Used Kotex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Used Kotex »

Abyz wrote:A .05 chance for dungeon monsters to drop a silver coin would be neat.
Not a horribad idea, but.

NEA
Yeah, I'm still in DCT... So's yer sister !

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

Used Kotex wrote:
Abyz wrote:A .05 chance for dungeon monsters to drop a silver coin would be neat.

NEA
Why are you opposed to it ? Just wondering.

Used Kotex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Used Kotex »

skynyrd2 wrote:
Used Kotex wrote:

NEA

Not opposed.

Not
Era
Accurate.

Shard mantra. IE: It won't happen.
Yeah, I'm still in DCT... So's yer sister !

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

skynyrd2 wrote:
Used Kotex wrote:

NEA
The idea violates the central policy of recreating the mechanics of Ultima Online during the target date range, i.e., Not Era Accurate. Not a bad idea, but just not the sort of thing staff is aiming for.

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

Used Kotex wrote:

NEA
Neither is the fact that you are tri-client, afk macroing with razor, or 15 second server saves, yadda yadda yadda. I just think we should look into where the line is drawn for era accuracy so we can put a little more flavor into the server.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

chumbucket wrote:
skynyrd2 wrote:
Used Kotex wrote:

NEA
The idea violates the central policy of recreating the mechanics of Ultima Online during the target date range, i.e., Not Era Accurate. Not a bad idea, but just not the sort of thing staff is aiming for.
Yeah I don't know why I posted pretty must just in hopes the new GMs had some ambition.

Staff won't comment becuase they don't care so I am not sure why we do so much.

They also talk out of two sides of the mouth then because they still give it away at christmas and do silver giveaway events.

My main point being was why not find another avenue for players to acquire those era accurate items that were given away in TS which will devalue silver making it pretty much obsolete. So you now have one of the last non era accurate things taken out and you have found out a way to break others into the economy.

Or you can just leave silver in there to remember what staff feels like is there biggest mistake? Keep the economy and server stagnent to remember the past? Or fix it ?

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Freight Elevator wrote:
Used Kotex wrote:

NEA
Neither is the fact that you are tri-client, afk macroing with razor, or 15 second server saves, yadda yadda yadda. I just think we should look into where the line is drawn for era accuracy so we can put a little more flavor into the server.

This.
Thank you Freight.
Honestly guys, its getting stale. Theres only so many things you can do. Theres a reason why OSI had so many expansions, and why all games do. The thing is, theres a way to stay Era Accurate and still evolve. The .05% chance for silver to spawn is genious. The main importance of Era Accuracy is the mechanics, the housing, the areas of the world, the skills etc; but you should be able to evolve with special items that help a 16 year old game evolve. We got the era accuracy, now can we ever move past it to try and evolve to get more population? Anyway for people to get out of the GY and into dungeons, Im all for.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

Menkaure wrote:
Freight Elevator wrote:
Used Kotex wrote:

NEA

This.
Thank you Freight.
Honestly guys, its getting stale. Theres only so many things you can do. Theres a reason why OSI had so many expansions, and why all games do. The thing is, theres a way to stay Era Accurate and still evolve. The .05% chance for silver to spawn is genious. The main importance of Era Accuracy is the mechanics, the housing, the areas of the world, the skills etc; but you should be able to evolve with special items that help a 16 year old game evolve. We got the era accuracy, now can we ever move past it to try and evolve to get more population? Anyway for people to get out of the GY and into dungeons, Im all for.

Good post although I do not want to make this thread about evolving past Era Accuracy because that will not happen and I enjoy the server. But what can we do within era accuracy to make it better? There are countless possibilties. Staff crutches to era accuracy to answer any question, yet we still hand out silver?

If we approach this with not era accurate idea Menk nothing will happen ever. If we approach this solutions to the economy problem that was created by NON ERA ACCURATE issues with ERA ACCURATE solutions.

We will 99.9999% get absolutely nothing in the shard we all deeply care about. But we will force staff to make up a response that doesnt crutch to era accuracy , just to see how creative they can be. But again most likely won't even recieve a reponse.

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

I'd drop from 99.7% accurate to 98.1% (statistics from a pie chart I just made up in my head) any day to bump the population to 1000 players average. This server will never be perfect but it disappoints me sometimes to be on the cusp of greatness but at the same time too stubborn to make a small concession (to some, improvement to others) to grab some population. To be honest if you have the core of UO, T2A style correct, which it is, you can still hold onto the era accurate moniker and make some improvements elsewhere. I don't want neon clothes, weird mounts, new skills, factions, champion spawns, etc., even though they wouldn't really bother me either...but we can still add some goals or objectives here and there.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

We created a problem with a non era accurate item.
Still provide this item.
Clinch to Era Accuracy in every post yet won't do anything within the Era Accurate realm to fix this?

At the core I think what we are reaching for is a sense of care. If all 400 people said we were going to quit tomorrow would staff care? or be relieved? This doesn't hang on Derrick there are more reps for UOSA.

Will they answer? Nah
Do we have valid points and the best interest of the server ? Yup

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Freight Elevator wrote:I'd drop from 99.7% accurate to 98.1% (statistics from a pie chart I just made up in my head) any day to bump the population to 1000 players average. This server will never be perfect but it disappoints me sometimes to be on the cusp of greatness but at the same time too stubborn to make a small concession (to some, improvement to others) to grab some population. To be honest if you have the core of UO, T2A style correct, which it is, you can still hold onto the era accurate moniker and make some improvements elsewhere. I don't want neon clothes, weird mounts, new skills, factions, champion spawns, etc., even though they wouldn't really bother me either...but we can still add some goals or objectives here and there.

era accurate mechanics should be unwavering. Era accurate every single little feature is detrimental, not to mention totally impossible.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

I never said we should go away from Era Accuracy, I said we should evolve IN era accuracy.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

Menkaure wrote:I never said we should go away from Era Accuracy, I said we should evolve IN era accuracy.
Got it ,misread. I just want to make it clear to whatever staff member reads this they cannot cling to the era accuracy. They are going to have to find another b.s excuse to shut us down. Regardless your ambition towards this server is always appreciated and I think we all get frustrated because we see this on the cusp and care more than the powers at be !