Question regarding taming

Topics related to Second Age
Carpatheus

Question regarding taming

Post by Carpatheus »

Do tamed animals, i.e. dragons/wyrms grow in stats/abilities? I remember playing UO a long while back and you could level up your pets skills, similar to the way you level up your own. Was that a feature released after T2A or is it the same way on this server?

Also, are all dragons/wyrms the exact same strength wise? Or are some better than others? Thank you!

JBURNS
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Question regarding taming

Post by JBURNS »

As far as I understand it yes there are differences in strength and skills between animals and dragons etc. Red dragons are slightly stronger than Brown ones on average and pure WW is slightly stronger than non pure. And yes they do gain skills and stats albeit VERY slowly and ther is no way to actually see your pet's skills and stats. This is how I understand it to work but if anyone has more info I woulnd't mind knowing more myself...

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

JBURNS wrote:And yes they do gain skills and stats
That said, I'd be curious to know where they start and where they max out. Like, how much "training" would you need to put your dragon through to max him out and how much stronger would he be if he were maxxed out. Twice as strong as a newly tamed dragon? 25% stronger?

vintirex

Post by vintirex »

There is no difference in stats based on color of said animal,though they do vary individually. There is no way to tell.

They gain in skill but there is also no way to tell.

The variance in difference is generally +/- 20 strength so its hardly noticeable on something with as high of str as a dragon.

There is no "follower" limit in this era so having more dragons is superior to having one well trained one

Carpatheus

Post by Carpatheus »

Thank you everyone for the insightful info! Two final question regarding stable slots--

I know slots are somewhat of a commodity here, so from a taming perspective, is it better to shoot to grab a slot each time for a bunch of dragons (might take some coercion/buying/patience), or to just tame a few new dragons each time you go out to farm.

I imagine the ladder would be a bit of a pain, but would give a bit more freedom as to having to rely on playing the stablemaster game. These dragons, I assume, would go wild if not stabled after logging out.

Lastly, concerning frenzied ostards and nightmares:

How exactly do selling these work? If the player receiving them has no skill in animal taming, are they impossible/hard to control? Or do they just need to be fed?

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Carpatheus wrote:Thank you everyone for the insightful info! Two final question regarding stable slots--

I know slots are somewhat of a commodity here, so from a taming perspective, is it better to shoot to grab a slot each time for a bunch of dragons (might take some coercion/buying/patience), or to just tame a few new dragons each time you go out to farm.

I imagine the ladder would be a bit of a pain, but would give a bit more freedom as to having to rely on playing the stablemaster game. These dragons, I assume, would go wild if not stabled after logging out.

Lastly, concerning frenzied ostards and nightmares:

How exactly do selling these work? If the player receiving them has no skill in animal taming, are they impossible/hard to control? Or do they just need to be fed?

You're sometimes able to find open stable slots. You just have to check them frequently. What you'd do then.. is whenever you take out your dragons, you fill the slot with a 'holder' pet.. such as a rat or a dog or cat etc. That way no one can come and take 'your' slots while you are farming with your dragons. Then empty them out when you are ready to put your pets back in.

Dragons will go wild eventually after you log out. I sometimes keep them inside my house and usually it isn't worth the hassle of someone killing them from outside. If you 'box them in' inside your house so that they cannot move.. you can pretty easily re-tame them the next day.

When selling frenzied ostards; you actually friend them to players who are not tamers. They are impossible to control, but if you friend the frenzied ostard, but command it to follow you (the seller).. it works out in a way that most players are happy with that. They only need to be fed if the owner/friend char is dismounting the frenzie on a regular basis.