Monster based discoverys from UO Stratics 1999.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Monster based discoverys from UO Stratics 1999.

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

Balrons come in 2 diffrent colors (or 3 possibly?). And apparantly move faster, and are poisonable?
DR: 10 OR: 10 OTR: XXX Magic: 7th Circle Fame/Karma: 4
Loot: 800 to 1200 gold, Magic items, Scrolls, Reagents, Level 5 treasure maps, 1 Raw Ribs (carved)
Commonly Found: Third level of dungeon Hythloth, toward the center.
Bottom level of the Terathan keep in T2A, north-east corner

Balrons spawn one at a time in Hythloth and one or two at a time in the Terathan Keep. They can move extremely fast. Only a non-lagged person on horseback can really outrun it. Balrons have no natural way of poisoning opponents, but they do cast the Magic Poison spells. They have a mana pool of roughly 350 to 500 and cast the following spells: Flamestrike, energy bolt, poison, curse, weaken, feeblemind, harm, clumsy, lightning, magic arrow, fireball, dispel, explosion, and paralyze. Balrons are highly resistant to Magic. Their melee attacks are also extremly powerful. They can easily do 40 to 60 damage in one hit to a person in full plate, and upto 70 to a non-armored person.
They come in three varities - The Lord of the Abyss, The Collector of Souls, and The Slayer. Despite rumors to the contrary, the three names are selected randomly when a balron spawns, and is in no way indicative of different difficulties - balrons are all pretty much the same. They come in two colors: A dark midnight blue, and a sandy beige color. There used to be a black shade, but I've not seen one of that type in at least 5 months (and I've killed about 500 balrons in that time). Together with Ancient Wyrms, Balrons are the toughest creatures in the Britannian world and give *huge* amounts of Fame and Karma, even to Glorious Lords.

Tactics for killing: Melee combat is *absolutely* futile and will only get you quickly killed. The most efficient way to kill a balron is to to trap it... Find natural formations in the dungeon the balron is in (rocks, stalagmites, etc), and get it trapped on the other side of it. Once the balron is stuck, let it spend all of its mana trying to attack you (but be prepared to heal!). Once it casts only level one spells (magic arrows, feeblemind,etc.), or Evaluating Intelligence reveals that it has less than 4% mana remaining (roughly 20 mana - enough to dispel), cast energy vortices and/or blade spirits beside it, and let them duke it out. It usually takes two vortices, or up to eight blade spirits, to kill a balron. To keep your blades and vortices alive longer, cast reactive armor on them. Also, casting poison on the balron early on will keep its life slowly draining away, making your job a bit easier.

- Hartford

Mage lords give wrong gold?
Loot: Red Robe: 0 to 50 gold, Scrolls (circles 1-7), Reagents
Blue Robe: 200 to 250 gold, Gems, Scrolls (circles 4-7), Reagents
Found: Despise Level 3, Shame Level 3, Ice Dungeon, Fire Dungeon

In Despise these mages can be found on level 3 in the swamp (South-West) and on the small island (South-East). In the Ice Dungeon you can find some in the Ice Fiend building (North-West). In the Fire Dungeon they can be found in the buildings on level 2 in the South-West corner.
These Mage Lords have several names: Kwan Li, Lord of the Mists. Lord of the Rats, Puzilian the Puzzler, Ralph the Lord Master of Mages, Thomas the Unexpected, and Brandon the Unvincable to name just a few.
Terathan avengers do Level 5 poison, currently only DP.
200 to 250 gold, Magic Items, Gems, Scrolls
Found: Inside and around the Terathan and Ophidian Fortresses in T2A

The highest rank a terathan male can carry, these purple spider-men hit hard, and utilize a formidable selection of spells as well.
Natural Poison: Level 5 Poison

Right now terathan warriors only drop gold and weapons, not really a big deal.
50 to 150 gold, Potions, Arrows, Magic Items
Found: Inside and around the Terathan and Ophidian Fortresses in T2A

These green warriors are fairly difficult, but no-where near impossible. They have a tough time resisting spells, so mages are handy in fights with them.

Silver Steed?
Loot: 200 to 250 gold, scrolls (circle 2), arrows, potions, reagents.
Found: Forests in T2A South of Papua and at the Oasis in the northern desert.

Good aligned, very strong horses that seem to glow. They will attack all Evil beings and monsters on sight. Their preferred method of attack is magic (up to 4th circle), their fireballs can do 30 damage per hit. Stat and skillwise they fall in the same category as the Nightmare. Killing a Silver Steed may increase your Fame but will lower your Karma, depending on what levels you currently are ofcourse.
jwilson I know there just renamed slimes, but I have yet to see one here.
Jwilson: DR: 1 OR: 2 OTR: 2 Tame: 30% Fame/Karma: 0
Loot: None
Commonly Found: Dungeons

A slime named after Johnny Wilson, Chief Editor of Computer Gaming World (CGW), who gave UO the award for "Coaster of the Year". A slime by another other name...
Note: Slimes damage the durability of any melee weapon used on them, in addition, they have a 50% chance of splitting in two when damaged, AND they use a weak form of poison. These three things make slimes extremely annoying.

Natural Poison: Lesser Poison
Heres the hunters guide to find them yourself.
http://web.archive.org/web/199902181015 ... m/hunters/

Just throwin em out there.

EDIT: links aren't working, I'm just going to grab some quotes and give the link to the hunters guide, sorry.
Last edited by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Monster based discoverys from UO Stratics 1999.

Post by Hemperor »

Silver steed I believe was like a day long thing only on some shards and were deleted on sight, could be wrong.

I've noticed that balron coloring too before, could dig up some more links if needed, but you are definitely right about that.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

There are numerous incorrect npc's at the moment. I have re-coded all of them and sent them to Derrick a little while back. It's one hell of a project to merge with the current system, and I just don't think he has had the time for something so large. Hopefully it will get in there one of these days though.

charisma red

Post by charisma red »

Wasn't a silver steed from the aborted Hero / Evil system?

eniave

Post by eniave »

charisma red wrote:Wasn't a silver steed from the aborted Hero / Evil system?
I think you are right.
LS 1997 - 2003

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

from what i understand, dark and silver steeds DO spawn here, but at an extremely slow slow rate (months and months)

i've seen 3 dark steeds(choppa, ons, and one randomly spawned outside of chum's exploding house event when he took his hiatus) and not a single silver steed.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Mostly just care about the balrons.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

charisma red wrote:Wasn't a silver steed from the aborted Hero / Evil system?

that sounds right to me. i actually forgot about the silver steeds completley but now i remember them a little after seeing this thread

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

thats very good find.

the problem is
1) EV's are too weak here (the barlons are strong enough).
2) EVS also have too smart an AI.
3) balrons dont mass curse

the balron ai pathfinding is "dumb" enough but they walk too slow.

they also used to switch targets to any motion that approached them from behind and walk fast and kill them.

they were bad ass besides the pathfinding. if you had one traped like that guys describing and a griefer walked up behind it, the balron would turn around after the griefer then dislodge itself from the rocks and get free and start killing people. balrons also used to mass curse! and i swear they had a 1 tile radius of detect hiding for people who used a hiding character to trap it. it might have been just being able to make you auto defend while hiding. but hiding to trap it never worked although it would work with other mobs.

it used to take 1 ev to drop a balron down to 10% if you drained its mana in the way that is described here. thats how people killed the majority of higher lvl mobs. draining mana by dbl clicking the mob and healing themselves and then dropping an ev when the mob couldnt dispell because they kept shooting magic arrows.

when osi /ea made the EV's and Blades have a smart "heat seaking" ai for the strongest / smartest targets they also decreased the strength of the EV. placing an EV used to be an artform they were stupid. you had to drop it correctly right next to the mob. sometimes it required running up and down near the EV to make it attack the mob because the EV would just be sitting there doing nothing. if you failed in your drop it always seemed to default to the nearest player and make you grey! :P thats how noto-pks evolved.

i killed so many of balrons on osi i offer my self as balron liason.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Your right about the balrons being stupid here, they definately attacked everything that moved and had a tendancy to dislodge themselves from box and hidden player traps. I do not recall the detect hidden ability though. The anc wyrm is the same way here, go run down in the ancient wyrm pit, that thing is really docile. The only thing it seems to do correctly is attack you immediatly when you get in it's line of sight, but aside from that, its just a stupid dragon with more hit points. We used to use eval on higher monsters and as Malice stated, drain their mana with the double click. I also remember leading monsters around by double clicking them when hidden. They used to walk right up to you, but as long as you tabbed out, you were okay.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Loot: 1100 to 1300 gold, Magic Items, 19 Raw Ribs (carved), 20 Hides (carved)
Commonly Found: Lower levels of the Dungeon Destard.

The Ancient Wyrm is without a doubt the most fearsome being in Britannia. It breathes fireballs that can do from 50-90 damage to a person, as well as having a very strong melee attack. The most significant danger of the Ancient Wyrm is it's ability to reflect spells. Though it will take damage from the spells, the caster will recieve an equal amount of damage as well if the spell is reflected. For this reason, summoned elementals and Daemons are of little use on the beast, as they will kill themselves with their own magical attacks. Together with Balrons, Ancient Wyrms are the toughest creatures in the Britannian world and give *huge* amounts of Fame and Karma, even to Glorious Lords.
Blade Spirits and Energy Vortexs DO NOT work against Ancient Wyrms, the Wyrms simply dispel them.

According to stratics Ancient Wyrms are bad ass mofos with an in your face attitude towards spell reflection.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR wrote:

The Ancient Wyrm is without a doubt the most fearsome being in Britannia. It breathes fireballs that can do from 50-90 damage to a person, as well as having a very strong melee attack. The most significant danger of the Ancient Wyrm is it's ability to reflect spells. Though it will take damage from the spells, the caster will recieve an equal amount of damage as well if the spell is reflected. For this reason, summoned elementals and Daemons are of little use on the beast, as they will kill themselves with their own magical attacks. Together with Balrons, Ancient Wyrms are the toughest creatures in the Britannian world and give *huge* amounts of Fame and Karma, even to Glorious Lords.
Blade Spirits and Energy Vortexs DO NOT work against Ancient Wyrms, the Wyrms simply dispel them.

According to stratics Ancient Wyrms are bad ass mofos with an in your face attitude towards spell reflection.

Here they are high-hp dark-hued dragons that spam their attack-last macro.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Your right about the balrons being stupid here, they definately attacked everything that moved and had a tendancy to dislodge themselves from box and hidden player traps.
a lot of monsters had some sort of motion sensor agro, including dragons,drakes, & regular deamons.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR wrote:

i vaguely remember that being a problem with them like RA for spells or something.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Your right about the balrons being stupid here, they definately attacked everything that moved and had a tendancy to dislodge themselves from box and hidden player traps.

they would dislodge themselves "because" they attacked someone moving.. perfect example is someone walking into the lair in t2a the balron would turn and walk down the hallway as soon as u were on its screen.

they agro'ed through walls also forgot to mention that as did all mobs. there was no LOS for agro.

they were always stupid with AI pathfinding tho making it easy to trap them on objects. derrick has decreased the ai pathfinding to what appears the proper lvl just needs some tweaking with the other stuff.