0 Magic in Towns

Topics related to Second Age
Orsi

0 Magic in Towns

Post by Orsi »

Just wanted know if Derrick has a reference to a website that says this was in T2A. I'm not asking about anything being changed, I just want to know for my own curiosity when it went in or came out.

thanks

alatar

Re: 0 Magic in Towns

Post by alatar »

It's not accurate, it's just a change he put in to prevent town killing.. It needs to be removed, its disrupting the natural order of Chaos & Order guilds.. We can't fight in town except with weapons, amongst other annoyances this change brought.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

i vote make one town to were its 1 dmg so that we may train resist in peace :D
Lord Dupre , Leader Of The Guard
Lord Of Trinsic.

DemonArkanis

Post by DemonArkanis »

I vote we allow damage in town- if someone wants you dead in town they're gonna kill you, regardless of magic abilities. Not to mention that resist is just way too easily trained at the moment. It's quite possible (and easy) to gm resist in 3 days, whereas it was normally one of the hardest skills available. At least with adding damage to towns one account has to be used as a healer bot rather then just another mage to cast with.

Blakheart

Post by Blakheart »

You couldn't use magic in town unless a person was grey to you, or you were in a guildwar, chaos/order war....etc.
You needed to leave town to cast on yourself (probably to discourage afk macroing...which was highly illegal).
It also helped keep brit bank clear of lag caused by afk macroers.
Later on you were able to cast on yourself, and on others, but if anyone at all yelled for guards they would whack you instantly. They weren't able to call guards on you for casting on yourself though...there were always tons of lightning bolts on top of brit bank hehe.
There is an area in brit where you can cast on others and the guards can't reach you. Very hard to get to. I won't tell where it is otherwise it might get exploited.
No casting in town also gave folks motivation to get a house where they could cast on themselves all they want.
I like no casting in town....it keeps the town from becomming filled with 100 afk players creating lag around brit bank macroing. Even now you can go to the bank and see several players.....none of which are really there.
Casting on yourself shouldn't be 1 damage...it should be full damage. It's Brittania...not Trammel.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

yes but then you have smiths trying to sell their goods and a person can easily get 3 people to cast explo and dip out leaving the mule helpless and full of valuables :D
Lord Of Trinsic.

do0m

Post by do0m »

Dupre[THG] wrote:yes but then you have smiths trying to sell their goods and a person can easily get 3 people to cast explo and dip out leaving the mule helpless and full of valuables :D
And thats not something that can happen outside of town?

I vote damage on. As demon put it... If someone wants you dead in town, its going to happen.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

no not really, thats if your afk that will happen i changed my vote to keep damage the same
Lord Of Trinsic.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

alatar wrote:It's not accurate, it's just a change he put in to prevent town killing.. It needs to be removed, its disrupting the natural order of Chaos & Order guilds.. We can't fight in town except with weapons, amongst other annoyances this change brought.
I was told it was accurate....
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Scythe wrote:Just wanted know if Derrick has a reference to a website that says this was in T2A. I'm not asking about anything being changed, I just want to know for my own curiosity when it went in or came out.

thanks
You guys sure know how to keep me busy. WebArchive is down, but I found a old page on the current stratics site.

Reputation FAQ: Guards and Town
Reputation FAQ: Guards and Town wrote: What types of attacks will work in town?
  • All types of attacks work in town except for spells. Damage from spells is reduced to 0. Note that poison attacks from summoned creatures like Blade Spirits will still work resulting in a Criminal flag for the caster and the possiblity of becoming a Murderer if an Innocent dies after being poisoned.

At the Sunday, June 28 1998 Player's Lunch, Rich Vogel, UO Producer, announced that he was against making spells work in town. (And he plays a GM pure mage). Although this is still up for debate, it sounds like the Design Team is leaning towards not allowing spells to work in town.

alatar

Post by alatar »

So whats the point? We can't guild war in town, so you want to leave it that way because OSI had it?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:So whats the point? We can't guild war in town, so you want to leave it that way because OSI had it?
Who is this directed to? Sythe asked for a link so I posted one.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

alatar wrote:So whats the point? We can't guild war in town, so you want to leave it that way because OSI had it?
Dexxers + mages healing.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

you can guild war in town i believe
Lord Of Trinsic.

alatar

Post by alatar »

no, you can't.. I was fighting order/chaos and spells do 0 damage.