Halby hits every 2 seconds with 25 dex?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Halby hits every 2 seconds with 25 dex?

Post by Vlastslav »

Wondering how the t2a game mechanics allow a halby hit every 2 seconds with 25 dex, when the actuall swing timer should be 4.5 seconds. Is this era accurate?

Attack someone
instantly disarm
tab out
wait 2 seconds
requip
attack last target/attack last combatant
= 2 second halby hits.

Just wondering if this is era accurate... someone with 25 dex should really not be able to swing a 25 speed weapon every 2 seconds. This little trick does not work with the bow (20 speed) and the fire rate is every 6 seconds. Suggest making the 2 second halby hits not work and put in correct swing timers for 25 dex swinging a 25 speed weapon. As seen below it is clearly a bug and considered an "exploit" by osi, yet remains on UOSA. I think it hurts pvp more than it helps because people are relying on weapon hits far to much instead of combos or group syncing.

Fausts 2 second halby hit thread and explanation http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4340
Mini-update with small fixes Feb 26 1999 11:25AM
An exploit for getting slow weapons to hit faster has been fixed.
Markee's Dragon - February 26, 1999

10) The disarm/arm exploit to get slow weapons to hit faster has been fixed. It will not be to your advantage to disarm/rearm a weapon. Please note one important omission!! There will be no current changes to Architect NPCs concerning better methods of buying back house deeds. Expect this to be added in the next major update though which is tentatively scheduled for around March 9th.

Reference: http://www.markeedragon.net/uomall/february.htm

This is not a tank mage server, this is not a dueling server, no reason why taking out the 2 second halby hits would affect any type of field/normal pvp.

Jaster

Re: Halby hits every 2 seconds with 25 dex?

Post by Jaster »

Reason you can't do it with a bow EVERYTIME, is because there is a 2 second equip delay on all archery weapons ... its possible to insta hit with archery though, but the delay between shooting and then being able to do this is much longer.

Hally 2 second hit I still think is a tad fast, but it shouldn't be 4.5 seconds. Being able to Ebolt Hally, Ebolt Hally right in a row was possible during t2a. If the swing timer were 4.5 seconds, it would be more along the lines of ebolt ebolt hally, ebolt ebolt hally, which wasn't the case.

I will say though, that if the hally timer was 4.5 seconds, you added in the disrupt/recovery delays, and implemented auto attack the way some people were remembering it [2 minute timer from another thread where it was explained] ... you'd have more spell combos, still have hally hits that wouldn't be disruptable, but they wouldn't be speedy and abused, wouldn't have attack last spamming ...

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Jaster wrote:Reason you can't do it with a bow EVERYTIME, is because there is a 2 second equip delay on all archery weapons ... its possible to insta hit with archery though, but the delay between shooting and then being able to do this is much longer.

Hally 2 second hit I still think is a tad fast, but it shouldn't be 4.5 seconds. Being able to Ebolt Hally, Ebolt Hally right in a row was possible during t2a. If the swing timer were 4.5 seconds, it would be more along the lines of ebolt ebolt hally, ebolt ebolt hally, which wasn't the case.

I will say though, that if the hally timer was 4.5 seconds, you added in the disrupt/recovery delays, and implemented auto attack the way some people were remembering it [2 minute timer from another thread where it was explained] ... you'd have more spell combos, still have hally hits that wouldn't be disruptable, but they wouldn't be speedy and abused, wouldn't have attack last spamming ...
But that would ruin all the work made to keep the hally mage uber...

Faust

Post by Faust »

Vlastslav wrote: This is not a tank mage server, this is not a dueling server, no reason why taking out the 2 second halby hits would affect any type of field/normal pvp.
This is a server that is replicating the t2a era. Being able to cycle weapons or refresh your insta hit was probably the most MAIN features of that era. If that were removed this server would be ruined by removing the ONE feature that defined the t2a era.

The article clearly explains that there is a two second unequip delay. It was always possible to cast an ebolt, two harms, or three first circle spells to have your swing timer ready to go. The energy bolt spell takes 1.75s to cast, and anything above 2 seconds wouldn't work. The connection article can't really be argued for one reason. Using a standard 200 ping connection adds a 0.2 delay onto the action making it barely under the mark.

It has nothing to DO with keeping anything "uber". The matter is an accuracy point. If you don't like that hally mages were "elite" or "uber" go talk to Designer Dragon and some of those other leading developers at that time. We're not here to balance classes or make certain types of characters better. The main objective or goal is to replicate this server. Unfortunately for some a hally mage is "uber" during this time period.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Right now mage pvp is spam tabbing, spam equiping, and spam attack last. Really not how I remember the t2a mage playstyle. The halby was used as a tool for that extra burst, not as your main source of damage.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This clearly shows that you could override a hally timer with an ebolt.

'99 Duel: http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/stories/nhawk19.htm

My entire thread on the subject shows it way more in depth with a countless number of sources.

Spam anything is based on the ability of Razor to allow for script pvp with looping. Blame technology not the game mechanics. This has been discussed previously several times. It would be best if Razor was tweaked to disallow non-t2a features.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

It's accurate and its cool so just leave it alone.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Faust wrote:This clearly shows that you could override a hally timer with an ebolt.

My entire thread on the subject shows it way more in depth with a countless number of sources.

Spam anything is based on the ability of Razor to allow for script pvp with looping. Blame technology not the game mechanics. This has been discussed previously several times. It would be best if Razor was tweaked to disallow non-t2a features.

Without timestamps that screen is completely useless and should not be the base of any game mechanic involving halby swings on UOSA.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:
Vlastslav wrote: This is not a tank mage server, this is not a dueling server, no reason why taking out the 2 second halby hits would affect any type of field/normal pvp.
This is a server that is replicating the t2a era. Being able to cycle weapons or refresh your insta hit was probably the most MAIN features of that era. If that were removed this server would be ruined by removing the ONE feature that defined the t2a era.

The article clearly explains that there is a two second unequip delay. It was always possible to cast an ebolt, two harms, or three first circle spells to have your swing timer ready to go. The energy bolt spell takes 1.75s to cast, and anything above 2 seconds wouldn't work. The connection article can't really be argued for one reason. Using a standard 200 ping connection adds a 0.2 delay onto the action making it barely under the mark.

It has nothing to DO with keeping anything "uber". The matter is an accuracy point. If you don't like that hally mages were "elite" or "uber" go talk to Designer Dragon and some of those other leading developers at that time. We're not here to balance classes or make certain types of characters better. The main objective or goal is to replicate this server. Unfortunately for some a hally mage is "uber" during this time period.
Actually I have written Ralph (Designer Dragon) a couple of weeks ago but I do not expect to hear a reply. I wanted to ask about a few technical issues and about the development enviroment at the time.

Designer Dragon was a top notch guy.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Vlastslav wrote:
Faust wrote:This clearly shows that you could override a hally timer with an ebolt.

Without timestamps that screen is completely useless and should not be the base of any game mechanic involving halby swings on UOSA.
What would time stamps matter if it clearly shows the guy getting disrupted two times on a greater heal until he dies? The guy dies in a hally, ebolt, hally, ebolt while getting disrupted. How about some statistics?

Hally, 5.0s delay
Ebolt, 1.75s delay
Hally, 5.0s delay
Ebolt, 1.75s delay
Total: 13.5s

Greater Heal Spell, 1.25s

Please explain to me if the timer was 5 seconds no matter what for a hally how a greater heal standing at 1.25s was not able to be casted two times in a row during a 5 second time period?

The journal clearly shows you the in depth time span if you follow the timers and that a previous swing delay could in fact be skipped.

Bad argument sorry.

Not only does that prove it so does my other sources.
Things to Remember:
Use the instant-hit with your weapon whenever possible (instant-hit= where you arm your weapon right after you cast a spell on your opponent---with pre-casting gone remember to target first!!!---then run up to your opponent with weapon in hand. This is a bug that lets you get a free hit off, with no delay. So use it while you still can.). Second, Try to preserve your mana as much as possible (more on this later). Finally, with pre-casting gone, almost all of the tactics revolve around the use of the greater heal spell, so let's hope OSI decides not to f*ck with it
This article from UOPowergamers backs up the memory of all the vets that remember this feature. I previously stated that the guide lines was an ebolt, two harms, or three first circle spells.
- February 3rd, 2000 - UOHOC Discussion -
Glamdring - *Aegean_LS* Is anything planned for the insta-hally hit? Is it supposed to skipp the delay?
Sage - Yes. We are currently looking at the insta-hally hit, and considering its removal.
Vlastslav, sorry you're wrong.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Faust youre basing your argument off a PICTURE from 99 with no timestamps, with never being there, and not knowing any of the people. Every single thing you say is just an assumption. Again, basing any game mechanic on some screen from 99 is absolutely ridiculous. All you have to do is go pvp in the field to know something’s not right.

And please stop saying "Vets", as probably half this shard could be considered "vets" and remember completely different things. Lots of opinions and assumptions.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Vlastslav wrote:Faust youre basing your argument off a PICTURE from 99 with no timestamps, with never being there, and not knowing any of the people. Every single thing you say is just an assumption. Again, basing any game mechanic on some screen from 99 is absolutely ridiculous. All you have to do is go pvp in the field to know something’s not right.
I agree with you that something is not right but I have to hand it to Faust that he does try.

I'm wondering, at least with weapon swings and speed, if moving all combat related timing to a .25 sec tick and putting in the cast delays for interrupted spells would cure a lot of the problems vets detect with lack of t2a feel.

It certainly didn't feel right at all to whack on a naked mage today on CTF just to watch them cast GH over and over gain while running around to avoid hits.

Yeah, that's a lot of fun and 0% accurate. That would have never happened on '99 OSI. So.. bring up patch notes, bring up discussions, the fact is the game play is off when it comes to dexxers.
Last edited by Kraarug on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Woah, buddy... I don't know anyone there? Nighthawk over at wtfman.com was in the same guild(Patryns) as me on Baja. I would get my facts straight before hand when posting next time.

You obvioulsy didn't read my entire post since you continue spewing the same thing about a screen shot being the only source.

I'm still waiting for my answer. Please explain to me how a spell sitting at 1.25s long couldn't be casted TWO times in a row after getting disrupted during a "supposedly" 5 second delay? I'm sure that I will be waiting forever just like always.

I have a good hunch that you never even played during this era.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Im not answering or arguing anything about that screenshot, sorry. And im sure you knew everyone in that picture, the victim too, right? Just give it up.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Faust wrote:Woah, buddy... I don't know anyone there? Nighthawk over at wtfman.com was in the same guild(Patryns) as me on Baja. I would get my facts straight before hand when posting next time.

You obvioulsy didn't read my entire post since you continue spewing the same thing about a screen shot being the only source.
Vlastslav wrote:Im not answering or arguing anything about that screenshot, sorry. And im sure you knew everyone in that picture, the 2nd caster and the victim too, right?

The screenshot isn't the only "source" he's used. I wouldn't even call that screenshot a source. Who's to say that the target had 100 strength, who's to say people in that SS didn't cancel a spell after casting, who's to say what really happened, perhaps that journal is locked from something that happened earlier.

Now his other sources, those might be a bit more valid, Vlast, read the other thread (linked in a previous post in this thread) to find more info about how refreshes work.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins