Very basic questions

Moderator: Support Moderators

Belegorm

Very basic questions

Post by Belegorm »

Hi all. I'm entirely new to UO, and mostly new to Ultima in general (I played a bit of U6, up to a quest that sent me to find lumber, and despite there being many trees, I couldn't harvest from any of them; I also got incredibly confused in U7, so spent maybe 10 minutes in that game).

I think I'm in a rather small group, someone trying to play UO (and T2A no less) without ever having played it back in the day, and this puts me into a hard position.

First question: when I first logged in, it asked for my email so I could validate my account, or something like that (this message keeps on coming up every time I log in). I found the email, and it gave me a numeric code that I'm supposed to enter as a command. How do I enter a command?

Second question is pretty general: can someone explain the interface to me? I'm mostly lost. I can't even figure out how to pick up items lying on the ground. Took maybe 5 minutes to figure out that I click on doors I'm standing next to to open them. I'm guessing the "paperdoll" menu on the top of the screen is for equipment, but clicking on it does nothing. I can open my inventory (filled with a bunch of really small items I can barely make out), but I don't know how to equip that knife I got. I decided to use a guide on this forum to starting out as a bard to make money early, then switch to a mage, so when I started, my stats made it so I'm classified as a healer (it's weird; in the wiki they list class templates, but bard isn't in the list of classes in the game; samurai and ninja aren't listed in the wiki either).

I decided I'd try playing this game as it's supposed to have a lot more freedom than newer mmos. Open pvp with people that screw you over appeals to me quite a bit. Oh, and the nice music of the series is always nice :)

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Very basic questions

Post by Chaos »

Yeah sounds like you need alot of help .. hehe .. mainly with game interface .. though I will be glad to help you one night get the basics I do have to sleep atm . If you still need help tomarrow and are around about 5pm est message me on fourms were you are and i'll pick ya up and give ya some pointers.. Though one day or night will never be enough .. been playing for years and still learning new things and tactics.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Belegorm wrote: First question: when I first logged in, it asked for my email so I could validate my account, or something like that (this message keeps on coming up every time I log in). I found the email, and it gave me a numeric code that I'm supposed to enter as a command. How do I enter a command?
The account validation is a feature that increases your account security and helps with accounting whenever or if you ever have any problems. After you've entered your information and received the email, all you have to do is type in that command in the main game window and pressing enter. The code resets at every shard restart so you will most likely have to send your information again for a second email.
Second question is pretty general: can someone explain the interface to me? I'm mostly lost. I can't even figure out how to pick up items lying on the ground. Took maybe 5 minutes to figure out that I click on doors I'm standing next to to open them. I'm guessing the "paperdoll" menu on the top of the screen is for equipment, but clicking on it does nothing. I can open my inventory (filled with a bunch of really small items I can barely make out), but I don't know how to equip that knife I got. I decided to use a guide on this forum to starting out as a bard to make money early, then switch to a mage, so when I started, my stats made it so I'm classified as a healer (it's weird; in the wiki they list class templates, but bard isn't in the list of classes in the game; samurai and ninja aren't listed in the wiki either).
The interface mostly works with the mouse. Right click and hold will move your character in the pointed direction. Clicking and dragging items into your pack will add them to the inventory. To equip an item (weapon, armor, clothes) you can click and drag them from your inventory onto your paperdoll. Clicking any item will display its name. Ctrl - Shift will display every item on the screen. When you find a bank you can type in "bank" and it will open your secure bank box (your pack can be stolen from), store any valuable in your bank. Finally on your paperdoll you will find a help button, then if you click the arrow beside general question you can page a game master who will be happy to answer any more questions you have or help you if you are having any problems.

Welcome to Second Age! Have fun :)

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

The interface is actually quite intuitive. If you want to put a weapon in your hand, drag it from the ground or your bag to your hand on the paperdoll. The same with clothing and armor. If you want to use an item or a door, double click it.

If you want to put something in your backpack, drag it either on to your actual character or on to the backpack on your paperdoll. The backpack is not organized for you. It's a bag. You have to keep it neat. Drag things around to move them. They end up where you put them.

In sum:

Right clicking and holding moves you.

Single clicking brings up the name of things.

Double clicking uses items.

Double clicking while in war mode attacks. Hit TAB to go to war mode.

The interface, while intuitive, is very complicated because of the sheer number of things you can do in game. Trial and error will get you there, and I'm sure you'll find folks to help you along the way.

Belegorm

Post by Belegorm »

Thanks for the help so far, guys :)

Ok, so is the paperdoll the picture of my character that I see on the right-hand side of the screen? Or is it something else only accessible by clicking "paperdoll?" I've clicked that button, but nothing happens. If I hammer that button, there's some message that says that the action is queued, or something like that.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Yes, that paperdoll of your character is your character's paperdoll.

To attack something, press Tab or click on "Peace" and you will enter into a battle stance. Double click on the thing you are attacking. You will automatically swing your weapon when it's in your vicinity. Know that if you are attacking a PC and they become "hidden" during your encounter, you will have to double click on them once again after combat has been broken off. Be aware not to attack "blue" PCs or NPCs in town as guards can/usually will be called and they will kill you instantly. As well, whenever you are being attacked or notice that you were stolen from (should be a message at the bottom left), quickly (within the first 15 seconds of the event) type "guards" and press enter.

As well, you are not safe outside of town. If you see a character with their name appearing in red as they approach, I suggest you run. Quickly. Grab a horse if you venture outside of town. Travel light. Bank your gold on an adventure if you've got more than a few thousand pieces on you or less if you're cautious.

This is where Magery comes in handy.

25 Magery will be enough for you to use a "Recall" scroll and recall (travel instantly from where you are) to a safe place via a "marked rune" or a runebook you might come across. Simply double click on the recall scroll and click on the "marked" object (your ship's key works, as well as runes and if you drag the scrolls on top of the rune book you can add "charges" to it so as to use one). Many players have runebooks with useful places to hunt in their houses.

Avoid carrying keys to houses and ships as much as possible. Place valuables inside pouches inside your backpack (several layers of them always helps) and place items on TOP of your pouches like maps, fur, big stuff in general (but not inside mind you) as as to cover your pocketz and to help make yourself theifproof.

If a player is standing next to you, then they are trying to steal from you.

Avoid using the west Britain bank at all costs unless you're okay with getting shit stolen from you on a constant basis.

Type "vendor buy" "vendor sell" in front of NPC vendors for the respective actions.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

Return to “New Player Help”