Why only allow yourself 7 Skills to GM level?

Moderator: Support Moderators

ArchaicSubrosa

Why only allow yourself 7 Skills to GM level?

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

I noticed everyone wants a 6 0r 7 GM character. Wouldn't that be a nuisance for a well balanced rogue for instance? How about a fighting class character that uses magery? Should he drop his parry and open himself up to Archers whom I have discovered firsthand are hindered by the sheild tremendously? Am I wrong to say that even a 25-40 in real points skill have a higher percentage then that to succeed under normal conditions?
Isn't a well rounded character supposed to have primary and secondary abilities after all?
No one likes to fail, but even at GM levels it happens. What do you think about having only 3 or 4 Gm skills ? I mean you can have 5 skills at 80 3 at 100 as an example.
The reason I am bringing this up is I want a well rounded rogue who can do it all, but maybe not all the time that would benefit a party. One who sticks to the shadows and attacks if needed and can heal himself in the isolation of self preservation but his main focus is the tricks of the adventuring trade.
I am not talking street theif here...but a glorified treasure hunter who can pick locks and scout ahead or behind to cover the tracks.
Many characters are strong in their areas of knowledge because they venture out alone almost 90 percent of the time and they depend on their skills to not fail them ever even though their gameplay might.
I mentioned my fighting class mage. I was running at an archer at one of the events and he was pegging me every shot. I had only 35 parry at the time and had raised my sheild up after being riddled with arrows. After that he could no longer hit me. I closed in and then had the advantage. He had to yeild and give up his position which left the way open for the rest of my team. Without the sheild the battle may have gone in the opposite direction. Normally a tank mage would drop that skill entirely, but for me just a little went a long way.
So besides ideas for a well rounded adventuring class rogue, I pose this question to all of you. Is knowing alot about a little worth more then knowing a little of alot?

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Why only allow yourself 7 Skills to GM level?

Post by Wise »

I have many characters who have 8, 9 or even 10 different skills, I think for Pvm, Roleplaying, crafting, General playing this is likely not overly uncommon, where I really think the 7x comes into play is the PvP aspect, and players choose to have consistancy in their skills and well hone the art of of using those skills rather then trying to trick their oppenant with a Ebolt, Hally, Arrrow shot, peacemaking combo ;)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Wise wrote:trying to trick their oppenant with a Ebolt, Hally, Arrrow shot, peacemaking combo ;)
:P

grimsk

Post by grimsk »

Like he said . Player want to maximize their potential because of competition.What we call the *cookie cutter spec* .
If you run with wrestling/sword/Fencing/Macing/Archery at 50 .. you won't beat a gm swordman lol . That how it's goes.
But there's alternative.Just like some succesfull pvp'er/pk's want something other than the overused cookie cutter tank/mage templates using a hally.

Myself i voted for a warrior/bard templates without magic resistance and 6x gm.While 90 % of bard use magery.Because it's simply better to farm and getting rhe finishing blow.(With EV/Invisibility).

For exemple you don't want to get hit by a Ophidian Knight-Errand.Magery Help.I can't farm like a mage/bard but i'm having a blast.That what count for me.Just like i don't macro everything or create 15 avatar and each of them are one of the cookie cutter spec.

Play what you want.A lot of people simply go for the cookie cutter way because they don't want to be drop-out.But who care.At least you're original and you're not *just* another follower.This game = 12 years old ... When i see one of those red using a hally i just sight.Been here done that.Next.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

There are several 'advanced templates' involving 8-9 skills that work very well IF you know how to use them, and learn how to use them well. Anytime you break from the pack and develop a new template, it can be lethal to many because they don't know exactly what they are fighting

For awhile I had a oddball 'pure dexer' with 100 swords, tactics, anatomy healing, resist, 70 hiding, 70 tracking, 30 magery, 30 poisoing. He sucks now because of the way poisoning works now, but before the patch he was pretty good for fighting both mages, warriors, and thieves
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

My money-maker of choice while starting here was

100 Mage
100 Med
100Eval
80 Hide
60 Resist
60 Tracking
100 Music
100 Provoke

One of my favorite characters to play is currently

100 Hiding
100 Stealth
80 Detect Hidden
70 Remove Trap
90 Lockpicking
50 Resist
50 Item-ID
90 Magery
50 Tracking
20 Camping

No Joke, and if you can tell me what that template is for, you can have a cookie.
(Hint: Has nothing to do with Treasure/Dungeon chests)

I posted my unorthodox template, whats yours?

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

MatronDeWinter wrote:One of my favorite characters to play is currently

100 Hiding
100 Stealth
80 Detect Hidden
70 Remove Trap
90 Lockpicking
50 Resist
50 Item-ID
90 Magery
50 Tracking
20 Camping

No Joke, and if you can tell me what that template is for, you can have a cookie.
(Hint: Has nothing to do with Treasure/Dungeon chests)
I wanna' get a cookie, so I'll make a guess! Hmm... House lewting? ;)

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

100 swords
100 tactics
100 anatomy
85 magery
75 resist
40 parry
100 Healing
60 Eval Intel
40 meditation

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Before I was thinking 40 alchemy 40 poisoning...and then just dropping poison for 80 alchemy just to have easier access to greater potions a true healer tank...dropping meditation/parrying all together

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

That's also with 99 63 63 for stats to keep a good balance

Return to “New Player Help”