Dispel Gate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
FatalAngel

Dispel Gate

Post by FatalAngel »

I may be wrong, but I thought when using dispel field on a gate, it would only dispel the side that you dispelled and the other side would remain.

For instance:
If you cast gate travel from your house to Britain then cast dispel field on it, it would disappear from your house but remain in Britain and people could still come through.

Zigo-U-

Re: Dispel Gate

Post by Zigo-U- »

It most certainly should be like this. I think the 2 way gate dispell was in beta.
FatalAngel wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought when using dispel field on a gate, it would only dispel the side that you dispelled and the other side would remain.

For instance:
If you cast gate travel from your house to Britain then cast dispel field on it, it would disappear from your house but remain in Britain and people could still come through.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i honestly dont remember for sure but they both sound familiar to some era of UO.

Badea

Post by Badea »

It was one side only. That's how so many pests got stranded on that little island out in the middle of nowhere.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Yes, you are correct. It was only the side of the dispel caster. Matron has mentioned this as well.

aXe

Post by aXe »

Either way you can't go back through, the only difference is that the person on the other side of the gate will still see the gate but won't be able to go through it?
<hemperor> plus im sure ive handled more money than your mcdonalds ass ever has, my $1200 dollar speaks for itself! :)

Badea

Post by Badea »

The way dispel field cast on a gate is supposed to work is that the side of the gate where the dispel was cast vanishes making it impossible for anyone to go through. The other side of the gate remains active allowing people to go through, but once through they have no return.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

How do you arrive at a destination to which the entrance doesn't exist?

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

Badea

Post by Badea »

Mephistopheles wrote:How do you arrive at a destination to which the entrance doesn't exist?
Hmmm, good question. I suppose the answer is that the gate that still exists, that you entered, is the "entrance" to the spot you wound up at. What would be missing is the "entrance" back to where you came from.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

It is a two way portal so if one side of the portal does not exist then the other, speaking on a purely "Fantasy Role Playing Game Physics" perspective cannot possibly go somewhere.

Because we all know how accurate t2a is in comparison to RL.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

That's the way it worked in 1999. If one side got dispelled, there was no way back.

It was pretty useful against gate jumpers. We'd cast gates, dispel the side we were on, and just wait for a jumper to go through...

Lewting would proceed shortly.

Badea

Post by Badea »

Mephistopheles wrote:It is a two way portal so if one side of the portal does not exist then the other, speaking on a purely "Fantasy Role Playing Game Physics" perspective cannot possibly go somewhere.
Meph,

I will not argue physics of a "fantasy" game. :)

All I can tell you is how Dispel Field worked on Gates on the live servers of UO. I've not even tested it here but I'll log in do that now. :)

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Great. Make sure to keep the results a secret so nobody can be certain :D

Badea

Post by Badea »

Mephistopheles wrote:Great. Make sure to keep the results a secret so nobody can be certain :D
Here it dispels both sides. :(

Which of course isn't accurate but I'm not running this server so it's fine. :)

TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Thats how its always worked in UO.
It should only dispel one side, but people could still enter through the side that was open, they just couldnt get back through.