Taming Laughable?

Topics related to Second Age
Talandar

Taming Laughable?

Post by Talandar »

Taming was allways the hardest and constantly get pets and stress over keeping them alive, why has it become so laughable, Wyrms are slow as hell and only have a hope of killing ppl on foot..which none ever is.

Dragons are that slow at responding ppl can do donuts around the screen by the time the stupid critters decide to attack after told to.

When i played osi during t2a tamers were the dominate characters..when one walked into a room, everyone feared them at the moment here when one walks into a room no ones overly concerned about them because they know they can do a couple things to drop them.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Taming Laughable?

Post by GuardianKnight »

Hmm i know for a fact that tamers were never weak and pets were never slow in t2a... I hope i don't find out that i'm not working 3 x as hard to train a tamer just to be beaten down easily...

Can someone confirm whether this is a waste of time or not? considering everything else is macro made ...i would expect this skill to be super mode.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

You guys are just going to stress hemp and faust out.

they spent weeks nerfing tamers in the forums so they could kill them with thier hally mages.

Im done fighting for it, they can't handle the all kill no skill here. now running with gate portal and target last object seems to be the craze.. thats way more powerful then taming.

those of us that were really tamer mains during t2a are so few and far between that we are dwarfed by people that have died to TT stoner one to many times. And not that it was his fault or anything, but thats why taming was nerfed, nerfed again and i believe is slated to be nerfed yet again?
[broken image]

Pro

Post by Pro »

Ever considered the fact you might just personally be bad at this game? I mean whenever I've played a tamer I think I've died twice in total in about 2 months, in fact most pks just avoid me or don't bother attacking.

Just say "all guard me", heal and then go offensive.. really not difficult stuff.

p.s get a wall of stone key.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

How is taming nerfed? That you cant give group commands to have all creatures attack one target with one keystroke?
You cant provoke everything in sight on one target you know.
Every possible template has strenghths and weaknesses benefits and drawbacks...
Adapt to what you have and what you face. If someone comes up with a new idea or strategy it just teaches you to evolve to the next level and keeps the game interesting.
Dragons are huge creatures, can surely outrun a man but not a mount. Has any of the creatures ever been able to out run a player where the player could not get away?
Does taming in some way make them super invulnerable god like creatures?
Everyone has at least one tamer in progress, and if they dont they did or are new.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I can travel at walking speed, and a dragon cannot keep up, this was never the case as far as I recall, wyrms barely keep up. To top it all off, the pathfinding is much worse than it was during real T2A. Monsters were dumb then, yes I know, but they would fluidly walk around things if it was within their narrow range. Whenever a pet here encounteres an object, even as simplistic as a single tree in a barren field it pauses while it calculates the A* method and then proceeds to jump, tile by tile as if it were being teleported (slower than walking) 1 tile at a time until it resolves the problem.

I'm sure we all see a monster hung on a corner, teleporting 1 tile at a time to try to get at you, at a MUCH slower pace than it should travel.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I never tried to "nerf" taming for the record once more tekai... Again, for the trillionth time(I just said billionth in another thread) Kaivan is the person that researched taming not me. We have a huge number of people whining about tamers being too extreme due to White Wyrm speeds. This is the first thread out of all those others saying they are gimped.

There are "known" tricks to get pets to move faster by telling it to follow your combatant. This was stated in Kaivan's research and works here as well.

Also, you are wrong about path finding Matron. The pathfinding on here actually looks further than it should to get around objects compared to the t2a era. NPC's did not pathfind until the UOR publish where the patch, UOHOC logs, and articles clearly state this. The way they pathfind on the demo was exactly the same during the t2a era. No AI improvements was ever made after the improved spell variations and gate blocking patches.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote:I never tried to "nerf" taming for the record once more tekai... Again, for the trillionth time(I just said billionth in another thread) Kaivan is the person that researched taming not me. We have a huge number of people whining about tamers being too extreme due to White Wyrm speeds. This is the first thread out of all those others saying they are gimped.

There are "known" tricks to get pets to move faster by telling it to follow your combatant. This was stated in Kaivan's research and works here as well.

Also, you are wrong about path finding Matron. The pathfinding on here actually looks further than it should to get around objects compared to the t2a era. NPC's did not pathfind until the UOR publish where the patch, UOHOC logs, and articles clearly state this. The way they pathfind on the demo was exactly the same during the t2a era. No AI improvements was ever made after the improved spell variations and gate blocking patches.
I understand that T2A had a width of about 3 tiles which the creature would compare to see if it could go around. I'm not questioning that, it's clear that there is a much wider scope in the AI, I am only saying that while they attempt to navigate, they cease even the walking animations, and buggily hop from one tile to another.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The reason they hop from one tile to the next when blocked is because they are navigating further than what they should be here. This has been a huge issue that I have had with RunUO for almost a decade now. No server in the history of RunUO emulation has ever got this correct. I have fixed this issue to about 90-95% in my own scripts. This requires turning SmartAI off in the code files with a slight tweak in BaseAI under the movement implications section of the code. There is sometimes the occasional hop but nothing near the amount they do here.

Blocking N, W, S, and E should always take 3 obstacles with the first in the specified direction and two blocking obstacles next to that direction.

Blocking NW, NE, SW, and SE takes only 2 blocking obstacles that should be in between the specified direction. For example, blocking a NW path the obstacles would need to be N and W. The easiest way to describe this blocking state is using those two directions for the blocking obstacles. The direction of SE for example would be South and East for the blocking obstacles and SW would be South and West, etc...

Very easy concept behind this process.

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

I'd like to call "Bullshit" on 90% of the people who claim to have been GM tamers during T2A. I actually saw very few tamers around that time, and rarely did they have multiple dragons in their wake. Likewise, a tamed dragon/wyrm has never been faster than a wild dragon/wyrm so I don't see why they should be faster just because you're controlling them.

DemonArkanis

Post by DemonArkanis »

every1 had 56k back then, that's why.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I just woke up and this is all a dream to me, I couldn't even finish reading.

Wyrms, TOO slow?

Come on now, from my understanding it seems like a staff member here has more information in the upcoming future to lay down that is going to put a pet speed limit in, effectively slowing wyrms down to an ACCURATE speed.

You guys would love a no control limit with "all kill", the best of both worlds! Unfortunately this never was the case in UO, and tamers here have proven time and time again that they are the biggest crybabies. Please use the search function next time, staff don't even bother replying to these threads anymore because the taming system here is so indisputably accurate and you all sound like a broken record.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

DemonArkanis wrote:every1 had 56k back then, that's why.
I tend to agree with this. This is also why I remember it being much easier to surround and kill people on horseback while on foot.

But I don't recall a ton of tamers either.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

On another note, taming must be 10x easier to gain on this shard. Back in the day, there were no spots to macro etc. etc., I just built a tamer to 94 in what is probably less than 5 hours that weren't afk... it is ridiculously easy, even at 94 I am still gaining at a steady rate.

On OSI I remember it being a major pain in the ass just to get to 60

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Hemperor wrote:On another note, taming must be 10x easier to gain on this shard. Back in the day, there were no spots to macro etc. etc., I just built a tamer to 94 in what is probably less than 5 hours that weren't afk... it is ridiculously easy, even at 94 I am still gaining at a steady rate.

On OSI I remember it being a major pain in the ass just to get to 60
Thats most every skill here hemp. Fencing, Macing, Wrestle, Swords, Magery, Evalint, Resist, Stealing, Stealthing, Lockpicking, Anatomy, Provocation, Peacemake, Music, and even poisoning are fast here.

Also, not a snide comment or anything, but I thought you never actually played during T2A.