I would like to Re initiate the Farmer Strike

Topics related to Second Age

Are you in?

I'm in. I'm tired of this over done crap.
55%
I really need money..i can't afford not to try.
22%
I'm a pk and this doesn't benefit me so ....NO
24%

Total votes: 51

Arkah

Re: I would like to Re initiate the Farmer Strike

Post by Arkah »

i was worried for a moment someoen would say avoid unsafe areas until you macroed all your skills

thats how EA killed us

Van, you can drop tables while running to throw off your persuer. foot stools, ive no idea
---
The above is my own opinion
Below is someone elses, or the next chapter

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

I never saw that tactic used when I played back in '99. Do you just use NumPad to run and drag the table with your mouse and drop it behind you?
Gone to greener pastures.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

When my pk-tamer is finished you will see just how to use wyrms on the field.

Mass curse has been under the same mechanics since 2008, and I will further illustrate on how easily it is countered, and how devastating wyrms are when used properly.

Onslaught can shed some light on this.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

nightshark wrote:
Mikel123 wrote: This attitude of "look how much I lose when a PK comes in and I die" is exactly your problem (and that of others). I'm glad you bring pouches, use a horse, etc. But for like 100gp more, you will survive way way way more PK attacks. 3 Yellow Potions, 3 Footstools/Tables, 3 Red Potions, and 3 Orange Potions. Don't expect to die; expect to LIVE. And prepare like it. Props to you for fighting back, but you really need a lot of potions to fight back against a PK who knows what they're doing. Like, 45 potions (10 yellow, 10 orange, 15 red, 5 white, 5 blue). And add 15 purple potions and a poisoned weapon or two, if you actually want to kill them when they turn and run.
I think you underestimate the difficulty of surviving a PK gank with a 300 ping and as a dexer who has shit skills. A single PK I can deal with (escape) unless they have explosion pots. 75 healing just isn't enough to survive in the long run, eventually a bandy will fail and then explosion pots > heal pots, so it really doesn't make a difference if I am carrying heals.

Before you criticise the fact I haven't bothered to macro GM healing - take into account that since I started playing UO again, I have become a casual gamer, rather than my old hardcore gamer style. I log on once every few days, and macro when I can be bothered. Yes, this is my fault - but I'd say it's also a common attitude of people who want to play UO in 2010, and these are also the people who are being turned off the shard (don't worry, this player isn't giving up that easily).

Honestly, if others got in on the action and fought back with me (3vs1 solo pk... cmon), maybe PKs would actually start worrying... hence an anti-PK movement. You don't need to be well equipped to survive 3vs1. The amount of damage being dealt out by 3 people shouldn't give anyone the chance. People seem to fail to realise that when a PK dies, that takes him out of the action completely for a while. Recalling might save your ass a few times, but fighting back is going to save your ass in the long run.

Anyway... I'll eventually make enough gold to round off the last 2 skills (magery/resist - both currently at 50) on my tank mage, and then I won't have to worry so much about PKs, since I'll have a decent character worthy of fighting back or recalling without being interrupted every single time.
Shark, casual gaming is fine, just hit those out of the way places, they're hard to find but worth it when you do. PK's can't be everywhere at once. I used to have a problem with them now I just farm gold in remote locations and as soon as I see a blue or a red I hit my recall macro and I'm out and on to my next out of the way location. Just stay on the move and AVOID the hot spots. Don't be like most of the PK fodder out there, stay long enough to get 1500-2000 gold then bank and go to the next location. Make a few visits to each location and it's going to add up. Most people try to hog a spawn or a location and that's just going to lead to running into a gank squad.
Last edited by KydVicious on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I can use 10 dragons.....i really just don't like to. When you tip the odds of you winning to the point that no one can challenge you, then there's no point. That's why i prefer a solo pk trying to kill me. I showed a new pk a week ago how to go about it and he finally wore me down and got me.

I guess i just expect the same fairness i give to spread and be given back, but instead people take advantage. Like i have said in previous posts, i'm the good guy. At the very least if you are going to cower in groups and gank me, leave the pets be and try me again later. After i'm dead there's no reason to kill the dragons other than to tell me you would rather i don't come back. And that's the whole point of this thread. You don't want people to come back, you want easy kills and have no problem if you leave people bitter with the encounter.

A normal pk would want the activity to continue and the truth as i see it seems to be that activity doesn't mean anything to you.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

GuardianKnight wrote:I can use 10 dragons.....i really just don't like to.
Well then use them, man up, and stop telling the rest of us dexxers and bards to stop farming 'cause you're too proud to protect yourself.
Last edited by Rhaps on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkah

Post by Arkah »

Van: they use razor macros to drop tables.

You never saw it int he old days because first of all im not sure if razor specificallyw as avaiable, and second; third party programs werent used by everyone.
---
The above is my own opinion
Below is someone elses, or the next chapter

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

We keep farming in balance so everyone doesn't have 100 million gold. We kill your dragons to keep you taming more, which also takes time.

It's a balance factor. Pretty simple.

You think that we actually think/care that you're gonna quit because you lost 2 dragons? No! :roll:

If I die on my stat-pk, im getting dry looted, flamed, and my pure mare stolen. It's all part of the game.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Van Raily wrote:I never saw that tactic used when I played back in '99. Do you just use NumPad to run and drag the table with your mouse and drop it behind you?
Footstools are hard to run around when directly in your path (I've tried it and I don't know why but it works that way). Tables don't really provide an obstacle when on the run, they allow for a quick pause but people can keep on the move when running into them or hitting them at an angle. Footstools somehow will rubberband you when you hit them on the run, it takes a second to navigate around them so it gives you a little more time to escape. Timed right it's a great trick (most of the time during a chase a PK will hit it and I swear it looks like they bounce off it for a sec....it's hilarious when timed right). Mikel123 illustrated this in his tips and tricks post (check it out....good stuff, wish we had more tips and tricks in these forums).

Also, make sure that you have the box that open doors automatically checked in razor, it makes getaways alot easier in places like hythloth, covetous and other places where doors get in the way (I know it's a no brainer but sometimes I find people still double clicking doors). Mini-heal is your friend, even if you're a dexxer get that magery up there so they heal a decent amount of damage, it's a life safer while on the run. Teamed with a yellow potion you're going to survive damage on the run. (Just be sure to carry bout 10 of em in case the lamer is chucking purple pots at ya)
Last edited by KydVicious on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Onslaught HAD TO, because you can't control dragons when red. They auto-attack the nearest red. Look - you'll kill a lot of people with a bunch of wyrms. Of that, there's no doubt. But dragons are superior in every way but magic, and for that they're somewhat close, and make up for it with firebreath.

nightshark... sorry man. That's a sad post. Macroing is the easiest thing you can possibly do. Once you get to 80 healing, it's one of the easier macros in the game. Use Bandage. Absolute Target (ghost). Pause 10.000 sec. Loop. Look... I'm not telling you to fight 3 pk's at once. I'm telling you to bring 3 yellow, red, and orange potions, and 3 footstools. It's not that hard. Wrestling is an issue, but with footstools and all the 1-tile-wide spaces in Covetous 3, you'll have no trouble dropping a couple (to the poster above, USE A MACRO, not drag & drop - that's why no one did it in 1999 - search for a post by matron de winter talking about doing it with tables) and getting the spell off without anyone close enough to disrupt.

PKs kill you because you don't want to put the effort into preparing yourself that they do. Plain and simple. It takes 1/5th the effort to escape PK's (whether it's 1 or 10 or 100) that it takes them to prep for what they do. So if you're not even willing to put that effort in, they overwhelmingly deserve to kill you.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sandro wrote:When my pk-tamer is finished you will see just how to use wyrms on the field.

Mass curse has been under the same mechanics since 2008, and I will further illustrate on how easily it is countered, and how devastating wyrms are when used properly.

Onslaught can shed some light on this.
Followers (pets and hireables) are not working correctly on this shard. If I recall correctly, on OSI the only way to get any kind of NPC to stop fighting, whatever it was fighting, was to invis the NPCs.

All follow/all stop/all stay did not work for getting pets/hirables to tab out. So if era accuracy on that issue is ever fixed, I think having 8 wyrms would get annoying after a while (having to split them up to tab them out).

All stop on OSI was just a command to completely reset any commands the pet was previously given (tabbing the pet out was impossible unless it went a certain amount of time without fighting). Hence why you were completely screwed if someone attacked your horse while you were feeding it.

I could be wrong about the era accuracy of hire/tameables though, so disregard this post if so.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Rhaps wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:I can use 10 dragons.....i really just don't like to.
Well then use them, man up, and stop telling the rest of us dexxers and bards to stop farming 'cause you're too proud to protect yourself.
I'm telling dexers and bards to stop farming for a little while to slow down the pk population. It's not because of pride so much as you are screwed anyway if this keeps up. I have 2 dragons guarding me and 2 pks syncing on me is a death sentence....a dexer or a bard might as well just open a DP trap in your bags and sit there.

As for sandro, You aren't killing our dragons to make us tame more....you do it to show how much more you can Pwn someone once you kill them. The whole greater good argument is a lie.

You sound like you are getting a lil more agitated in your posts.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

Ah, so it's a razor trick. Not era-accurate, then. *Grins*

I figured it was, but I wanted to know for sure.
Gone to greener pastures.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:nightshark... sorry man. That's a sad post. Macroing is the easiest thing you can possibly do. Once you get to 80 healing, it's one of the easier macros in the game. Use Bandage. Absolute Target (ghost). Pause 10.000 sec. Loop.
I'm aware of how to macro, thanks. You don't need more than a few brain-cells for that. I even part wrote a disclaimer that YES I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO CRITICISE ME FOR NOT MACROING.
Look... I'm not telling you to fight 3 pk's at once. I'm telling you to bring 3 yellow, red, and orange potions, and 3 footstools. It's not that hard. Wrestling is an issue, but with footstools and all the 1-tile-wide spaces in Covetous 3, you'll have no trouble dropping a couple (to the poster above, USE A MACRO, not drag & drop - that's why no one did it in 1999 - search for a post by matron de winter talking about doing it with tables) and getting the spell off without anyone close enough to disrupt.

PKs kill you because you don't want to put the effort into preparing yourself that they do. Plain and simple. It takes 1/5th the effort to escape PK's (whether it's 1 or 10 or 100) that it takes them to prep for what they do. So if you're not even willing to put that effort in, they overwhelmingly deserve to kill you.
I don't think you understand my posts too well. I'm not complaining about getting PKed - I'm merely stating the effects it has on casual gamers. Believe it or not, lots of people don't read the forums and have no idea about dropping tables, much less to the point where they'd goto the effort of finding and buying them, and setting up a razor macro to drop them. I also never said anything about taking on 3 PKs, I just said that it's stupid for 3 people to recall out from a single PK.

You do not understand the difference in mindset of a casual player and a hardcore player. I'm kind've a hybrid in the fact that I used to be hardcore (playing 8+ hours a day), but stopped really giving a damn after I started playing UOSA (5 years after I last played).
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

GuardianKnight wrote:I'm telling dexers and bards to stop farming for a little while to slow down the pk population. It's not because of pride so much as you are screwed anyway if this keeps up.
If you read my first post in the thread then you'd see why I'm not screwed at all. I take a lot of prep and put a lot of thought into my farming. Like Mikel has been saying it's all about how you approach it. I don't even pack the stools, potions etc, just an escape macro and the basic spell buffs. That alongside some common sense of when and where to farm and I'm doing well.

I think you are just having trouble as you find it hard to save your own skin while leaving your pets to die. At least when I get attacked I just have to worry about getting myself out. But to be honest, that's your issue, not the farming community as a whole. The PKing activity goes up and down sure, but right now it's still not stopping most of us from farming (I still see lots of farmers about). As long as you pick the right spot and go in prepared then the PKs are not an issue.
Last edited by Rhaps on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.