Animal tamer

Moderator: Support Moderators

alatar

Re: Animal tamer

Post by alatar »

Khronus wrote:people say it gets harder to gain when ur getting close to skill cap (700).
This is not true on Second Age. Skills gains at the same rate regardless of your total skills.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Khronus

Post by Khronus »

i think i heard it from Derrick...
Visit Khronus Mall 2 Screens North From Brit Moongate!!!

Alec Empire

Post by Alec Empire »

I sure would like to know if thats true or not cuz Ive been at the low 30's for taming ant not gaining much of anything. Maybe .5 per hour if Im lucky. Taming re-tame and fresh polar bears and walruses. :cry:

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

I hear retaming a creature to be more difficult, but not worth it as far as gains. Just hearsay however, I can say I have not had luck doing such.
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

platy

Post by platy »

Yes, previously tamed animals are harder to tame..
http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... l#retaming
Read the article on retamed animals: for every owner it has had that released it it gets harder..
This does help however when your skill gets higher.. right before you move onto the next animal- this is one good reason bulls take you to GM if you want.
Here's a tip: Run a macro on razor to Tame / Wait for Target (edit timeout to 1) / Exec Last Target / Pause 10 seconds.
What you do is walk around taming animals, and instead of releasing and renaming, keep them and just say "All Follow" and target the next animal your going to tame-The last target becomes the animal you want to tame, and the animals you've already tamed start following the animal you're trying to tame.. EVENTually you'll have enough animals to surround your target and he'll be trapped. This way you can macro each animal instead of following him around (maybe to a monster).. Then just lure then to a monster and tell them to follow him: the monster should kill each one, one by one

Also Derrick told me Ingame that skillcap doesn't effect(affect?) skill gain here so don't worry about that.

Storm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Storm »

From what I've seen building two GM tamers here is that locking animal lore at 0 has no affect on skill gain whatsoever.

Also, I always max my stats (100str/25dex/100int) first, as well as GMing magery, med and eval. I do it this way because once I start taming I don't want to stop to train other skills until I GM taming, and the magery always helps kill aggressive monsters and to get around easier.

By maxing your stats, you get a 9.2 bonus to taming at 50 skill level, so you have 59.2 shown skill. This lets you start taming polar bears, walruses and snow leopards right away on Dagger Isle.

Once you get to 65.5-66 skill, I recommend starting on white wolves and when you run out of those go find grizzly bears, great harts and panthers. Keep doing that til 72 or so, then go hit up the Delucia bulls. Once you get to 85, it helps to mix all of these animals together for optimal gains. From 85 to GM I tame grizzly bears, panthers, great harts, white wolves, bulls, dire wolves, giant toads, frenzied ostards, drakes... then when high enough I mix in a few dragons, nightmares and white wyrms.

Dragons are a pain in the ass to gain on compared to other animals because of their magic and firebreath. I find it much easier to gain on other animals until you can start on mares and white wyrms.

My method is to tame every single thing I can find that will give me a gain. I think I GM'ed my first tamer off of a grizzly bear or great hart.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Storm wrote:From what I've seen building two GM tamers here is that locking animal lore at 0 has no affect on skill gain whatsoever.

Also, I always max my stats (100str/25dex/100int) first, as well as GMing magery, med and eval. I do it this way because once I start taming I don't want to stop to train other skills until I GM taming, and the magery always helps kill aggressive monsters and to get around easier.

By maxing your stats, you get a 9.2 bonus to taming at 50 skill level, so you have 59.2 shown skill. This lets you start taming polar bears, walruses and snow leopards right away on Dagger Isle.

Once you get to 65.5-66 skill, I recommend starting on white wolves and when you run out of those go find grizzly bears, great harts and panthers. Keep doing that til 72 or so, then go hit up the Delucia bulls. Once you get to 85, it helps to mix all of these animals together for optimal gains. From 85 to GM I tame grizzly bears, panthers, great harts, white wolves, bulls, dire wolves, giant toads, frenzied ostards, drakes... then when high enough I mix in a few dragons, nightmares and white wyrms.

Dragons are a pain in the ass to gain on compared to other animals because of their magic and firebreath. I find it much easier to gain on other animals until you can start on mares and white wyrms.

My method is to tame every single thing I can find that will give me a gain. I think I GM'ed my first tamer off of a grizzly bear or great hart.
:evil: This is great advice. I started a tamer a couple of days ago and I am on ice island, iv almost hit the 72.0 mark for bulls. Only thing i would add is that to remeber you gain off of FAILS as well as tames. So tame the hardest thing you can possibly tame. Once you get to white wolfs on ice island at 65.0 or something it gets alot easier, they are hard to tame.

alatar

Post by alatar »

I don't really see the point in having a tamer.. A bard is nearly twice as proficient, and takes way less time to make. I stopped training my tamer at like 89.0 due to the incredible difficulty/time it consumes..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Storm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Storm »

alatar wrote:I don't really see the point in having a tamer.. A bard is nearly twice as proficient, and takes way less time to make. I stopped training my tamer at like 89.0 due to the incredible difficulty/time it consumes..
After having both a bard/mage and a tamer, I would have to completely disagree with this. I can kill stuff 5x faster than a bard can, and I don't rely on summons/evs/other monsters to do it. Also I don't use nearly as many regs, all I need are bandages which are very cheap.

Also, tamers don't take long to make if you know what you're doing. Nemesis was 6x gm with resist not being gmed in about 6-7 days. I could've done it quicker but I was working on other things as well.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

alatar wrote:I don't really see the point in having a tamer.. A bard is nearly twice as proficient, and takes way less time to make. I stopped training my tamer at like 89.0 due to the incredible difficulty/time it consumes..
Completely untrue. Your ingoring posibilitys here. How about a tamer/bard? You simply kill more with dragons than just straight provoking everything period.

platy

Post by platy »

I agree with Alatar.. a well trained/seasoned bard can make more money FASTER than a tamer can.. just put something like lockpicking on the bard and you get an extra 5-10k every 10 min..

Although I will agree with Nem/Storm that certain monsters need to be killed with a tamer.. Specifically the Ancient Drag/Wyrm.. the hardest monster in the game and consequently the best loot.. Pretty much only tamers go there, theres not really much to provoke it on, not to mention they take out drags quick without heals

But it all comes down to what your used to/comfortable with.. I had a bard on OSI but been playing tamers on freeshards for like two years.. I'm down with both but provoking dual ballrons IS the fastest way to farm $ in the game.. especially when there's more than one dual bally spawn ;p

alatar

Post by alatar »

Unless I have not done enough exploring there is only 1 'dual' balron spawn.
#1 PK Guild on T2A

platy

Post by platy »

i believe i've seen two, although only farmd at one b/c the second has lots of other monsters.. i'll recheck if its a dual tho

Storm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Storm »

platy wrote:i believe i've seen two, although only farmd at one b/c the second has lots of other monsters.. i'll recheck if its a dual tho
There is only one dual balron spot.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

there isnt even suppose to be a dual balron spot, but im not complainin helps provokers.
Lord Dupre , Leader Of The Guard
Lord Of Trinsic.