Automated Events Thread #1,000,000

Topics related to Second Age
[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Automated Events Thread #1,000,000

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Ohhh ok - so basically, if a handful of the population goes and duels with strict rules and accurate leaderboards/results, that prevents anyone else from continuing with their regular game. I understand now.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Players are not free to interact with participants who are currently engaged in duels as they see fit. That is the problem with the exact request players are making.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

So, the solution here might be that there's still the tracking of events, but let players interfere?

I understand that players can interfere and the "results" might not be all that fair or accurate, but it'd be simple to track the "interference" of other players. I'm not saying stop it, but just put a note next to whatever Duel, CTF, etc...where someone outside of the event interfered with damage or healing.

Basically, have the events and allow anyone to interfere as they see fit and give out NO rewards. Keep track of the results and it'll satiate the egos of these wannabe wizards.

Also, lets look for places in the normal world that we can set these events up in, instead of the proverbial "trammel".
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Populus

Post by Populus »

Light Shade wrote:So, the solution here might be that there's still the tracking of events, but let players interfere?

I understand that players can interfere and the "results" might not be all that fair or accurate, but it'd be simple to track the "interference" of other players. I'm not saying stop it, but just put a note next to whatever Duel, CTF, etc...where someone outside of the event interfered with damage or healing.

Basically, have the events and allow anyone to interfere as they see fit and give out NO rewards. Keep track of the results and it'll satiate the egos of these wannabe wizards.

Also, lets look for places in the normal world that we can set these events up in, instead of the proverbial "trammel".
I thought the issue was that it would be lots of work to set up an event. Now we are going to add work by keeping track off what deviated from a normal trammelduel by amount of x gheals in LEETPVPr #2's favor during the duel so that we then can create a 1v1 leaderboard. This is genius.
Lightshade should form forces with Eo so that they can make their eventdream come true.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:Ohhh ok - so basically, if a handful of the population goes and duels with strict rules and accurate leaderboards/results, that prevents anyone else from continuing with their regular game. I understand now.
Don't act like you don't understand and stop crying.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Kaivan wrote:A GM assisted event is perfectly fine, in so much as some mechanics may be modified (i.e. add spawn, change spawn frequency, play an NPC character, etc), and even activate certain special mechanics for the event. However, no mechanics will be suspended, nor should anyone expect some sort of regular event schedule of any kind (again, not something that happened on OSI servers).
I'm not talking about "suspending mechanics" here. I'm talking about "activating certain special mechanics for the event". The point of this discussion is to determine what the line between the two is.

I'm not talking about enterring a trammel land where you only need 1 of each reagent and potion and you can cast as many spells as you want. I'm talking about enhancing an event with a new mechanic... for Eo's duel thing, for example--what's wrong with adding in some sort of automated ladder system without pulling people out of the world into a trammel duel pit. I don't see any suspended mechanics there--just an enhanced framework to add meaning to the duels and to save players time and effort (could even have a mechanic that invalidated a duel if somebody else interfered). I'm not saying it wouldn't take work to program, my argument in this case is simply that we're not suspending mechanics here, so I don't know why it couldn't be added in on era accuracy grounds.

While my suggestion--for example the in-Felucca team FFA board--one might argue that the "occasionally reveal non-participant intruders" mechanic is "suspending T2A mechanics" or that turning non-participant intruders criminal is "suspending T2A mechanics", but I think by far it more logically falls under "activate certain special mechanics for the event". And besides those two mechanics and having teams noto as enemies--also more logically "activate certain special mechanics for the event", what mechanic is being suspended? Players could do the same thing with a ton of effort (as I described--getting people to quit their guild, sign up with a new team guild, etc), but the special mechanic just makes the experience far more enjoyable for the players in that they don't have to work for hours to make it happen.

And you know what? If the "intruder mechanics"--meant to allow players to deal with intruders in at least some way--is seen too much as "suspending mechanics", throw away that idea... just add in the temporary noto system... wouldn't you think that would fall under "activate certain special mechanics for the event"? Even a simple system as that would enhance the opportunity for players to have large scale PvP events IN-FELUCCA without a huge amount of work setting things up. As I said, I think the point of this discussion should be determining the line between suspending mechanics and activating special event-specific mechanics.

You currently appear to be hard-lining that basically anything that doesn't have some sort of precedent (RP mechanics) or is limited in scope (though, as I said, the Urk guild having NPC's that noto on their team could be seen AT LEAST as much a "suspension of mechanics" as adding temporary team noto for a team FFA event that supercedes guild-war noto for the duration of the event). I'm suggesting that there is no need to be that conservative given such precedents--and in fact, the shard could greatly benefit from a some enhanced mechanics (like the orc NPC team mechanic).

I hope you see that my point is that there is tons of room for events that don't suspend mechanics but that have an enhanced mechanic that simplifies the experience or offers something important (e.g. CTF mechanics, NPC mobs on their team) that players simply can't replicate.
iamreallysquall wrote:if you guys spent half the amount of time that you do crying on the forums about automated events and put that effort into hosting an event you probably would be way more happy just saying.
You never answered my question.
the Bazookas wrote:Also, iamreallysquall, (and I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just asking because I really don't know how much you've actually tried and I'm curious what you have previously done)--what events have you hosted?
I presume you have tried to host a reasonably complex server-wide event before, so you know exactly how much work and time it takes?
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Kaivan wrote: There is still the significant reward of enjoying a particular playstyle without the concern for outside interference (the exact point of many of these events)
I suppose I just don't understand the need for such a level of pedantry that we would squelch a person's (or large group of persons) enjoyment simply because it may momentarily, in some absurdly abstract way, remove them from the (incalculably remote) possibility of being victimized by another individual.

I duel and witness duels on a regular basis currently. You're going to tell me that if I'm safely tucked away in a remote corner of the world where the chance of LeLouche popping a gate to a balron is practically impossible, no one has a problem with it simply because I'm not enjoying the suspension of a mechanic? At that point they're logically and practically the same thing. There's no counter argument other than to be purely philosophical and utterly pedantic.
Kaivan wrote:
[Uhh] Eo wrote:I just want a 1v1 tournament once a week! Pleeeeeeaaaasee
Not to single anyone out, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. There is no good reason why the mechanics should be suspended in favor of a particular group of players for their enjoyment at the expense of other players. There is no need for GM assistance when running this type of event.
What's the expense? I don't at all see how a sanctioned and scheduled duel environment, which offers no reward other than momentary sanctuary and a formalized leader board, affects (let alone negatively) anyone but the most embattled and bitter individuals. Especially considering that everyone who actually pvp's and pks on the shard is in support and would be in attendance, leaving only butt hurt griefers on the outside looking in. If LeLouche wants to host an event so that he can watch people invis recall from balrons, then he should devote more time speaking with staff about his own activities (best of luck) and less time debating the validity or entertainment value of others.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

"This position has changed quite a lot since then. Derrick and I are both in agreement that automated events should not return."

It's over, just let it go everyone.

Lock thread, gate to balrons, enjoy.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Kaivan wrote:This position has changed quite a lot since then. Derrick and I are both in agreement that automated events should not return.
I took it to mean regarding automated events as they were (trammel instance, etc.). If that is not the case, then I'm not sure why Kaivan asked forum PvP to cease in the thread so that a real discussion could be had--if there's really no chance for any kind of automated event (even unscheduled player initiated) whatsoever, then yea, this thread should be locked.

So to answer that, it'd be great to get an official response on 2 questions:

Question 1:
Would the following automated event ever be implemented on UOSA, assuming coding / time were not an issue (i.e. would it not be disqualified as being in opposition to the goals of the shard, and, if time were not an issue, the staff would accept putting this into the shard):

Once per week the Britannia Games wagon wheels into town. At the wagon a player can say "host" and if they have 20k (which they lose), a message broadcasting a team FFA game hosted by X. Players have 2 minutes to run up and say "join" and if they have 5k (which they lose) they are randomly assigned teleported on a team somewhere in Felucca, where a 2 minute wall of magical energy separates them--the only difference is that their guild war noto is disabled, and replaced with other teams being enemy noto. While a game is hosted, no other game can be hosted. The NPC sticks around until either 3 games have been hosted or 24 hours has elapsed, and doesn't come back for another week and a day.

The winning team receives 75% of the buy-in in return (or possibly even NOTHING in return).

So what mechanics were introduced?
An NPC that players can interact with using 2 keywords (http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Quests). This NPC randomly assigns teams and transports them to the "board", not giving them anything. Guild war noto for the participants is disabled and replaced with team noto for the duration of the event (30 minutes or whenever an entire team is wiped out. A mechanism to redistribute the buy-in to the winners (always losing 25% of all the money).

That's about the simplest PvP, player drive, non-trammel, taking place in the world of Felucca (the event can be messed with by others), not introducing special reward currency, extremely limited in special event mechanics, kind of "automated event" I could think of. If Derrick & Co. would never consider such an event on UOSA solely based on the goals of the shard, then please lock this thread.

Question 2:
What about Quests (I mentioned them when I referred to NPC's that players interact with)? I don't know if these quests existed on OSI or not http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Quests. If time and effort were not an object, would the staff be opposed to putting another quest into UOSA? Quests inherently require handling conditional situations involving mechanics that create spawn or other actions based on player actions. Are these sort of special mechanics also out of the question based on the goals of the shard?

==========================
I think if we could get solid answers to those 2 questions, then we have somewhere to build from in terms of what staff considers acceptable new content on UOSA.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Did GM's host events in 1999? Sure.

Did they do it automated on a daily basis? No. Did they hold them in Green Acres? lolno.

2/3 against? Sounds like a loss to me. The duellists who want automated events point to the fact that OSI game masters added things to the game world and hosted events for roleplaying guilds...are you RPing?

Thought not.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Yes, they are RPing gladiators and arena fighters. Come off your high ridgeback savage.

Personally, I was more a fan of the CTF events which you simply cannot do with consistency and security without spending the vast majority of your free time and others' to do so.

Automated events give people shit to do other than grief and PK, but of course that would be a bad thing on UOSA, right?

To all the naysayers of automated events, tournament, CTF or otherwise...how many have you hosted that can compare in any way? No, I'm not talking about 10 people showing up to win a small deed for a red pot GM halberd fight. I'm talking half the active population showing up, shooting the shit, HAVING FUN and carrying on about their game afterward.

Whatever, it's a moot point. UOSA is aiming for a mechanical replica and fun is ONLY what you make of it here. Stop looking for shit that you're never going to get, here. I did and it's all water under the bridge now. I still have my full invulns and vanq stuffs for server wars. See you cats at 4am.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Blaise wrote:
Automated events give people shit to do other than grief and PK, but of course that would be a bad thing on UOSA, right?
It would be era-inaccurate :P
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

%110!!!!!!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Jason-

Post by Jason- »

CTF was very entertaining. I enjoyed it more than the tournaments.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

What it boils down to is that this server has a very specific goal in mind.

There are pros and cons to this pursuit.

I personally think there are way more pros than cons which is why I enjoy the good and try not to complain (too much) about the bad.

Also more gratitude to the staff is in order. Don't forget they do all this for free!
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Flea

Post by Flea »

Ever thought of making a clone shard where such things would be allowed?

I personally think its unfair certain people were allowed to participate in events for 3+ years and obtain items and riches that a new player cannot obtain.

Of course I had fun field PvPing on this shard, but anyone who says people just logged in for events is A. stupid or B. Liar. Before/After events was the biggest pvp fights i had ever seen on this shard in my 3 or so years. They also had people log in during the off hours, goto the GY at 2am and see how much action you find. That used to be different.

Ive heard alot of arguments about "What if people start here and see a dyed mask and say wtf! this isnt era accurate! Garbage! im out!" Except I dont think thats ever happened once.

http://my.uosecondage.com/Events/Schedule - Please remove this from the website as its false advertising for what new players could expect.